Reprogramming For Tire Size and Gear Ratios | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reprogramming For Tire Size and Gear Ratios

Well, I finally figured out how to reprogram (for the speedo to read correctly and so on) for tire size and gear ratio changes in the 98-01 Explorers/Rangers/Mountys. I used a NGS (Factory Ford scan/program tool - no longer in use anymore) with all of its recent updates (up until last year I believe), and was able to go into the ABS system and change the settings manually. Now, as probably many of you know, I tried to go through the GEM Module to reprogram, but it would never take any of my programs/settings (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134477. Well, I basically back doored it going through the ABS module which is what the GEM module acually uses for the speedo. So with change the settings in the ABS module, it changes the GEM Module. Here is a helpful list:

98-01 -- Reprogramable through the GEM or ABS Module
91-97 -- Gear Change (for the transmission)

Now, Ford charges .7 hrs for a reprogram as described in the above links and in the post. It took possibly 3 minutes to change everything. Granted, I knew the Revolutions Per Mile ahead of time, but that would of taken just as long. Here is how you figure out your REVS/Mile:

Chalk Test:

Mark your tire at the bottom with a chalk pencil or something visible (also mark on the pavement) and then roll forward until it has made a full revolution and mark another mark on the pavement. Then measure between the two marks and that is 1 revolution. In my case mine came out to be 8' and 5"s which in turn changes to 101"! So now what? Here is something helpful:

1 mile = 5280 ft x 12" = 63,361 inches

Now, devide 63,361 inches by 101 inches (your one revolution) and you will end up with 627.33 Revs/Mile. Obviously each vehicle will be different (i.e. tire size), but my set up was 33" tall tires with 4.56:1 Gear Ratios.

Well, now that you have all these numbers what do you do? Well, do the following (in the NGS):

1. SELECT: SERVICE BAY FUNCTIONS
2. SELECT: ABS
3. SELECT: TIRE SIZE/AXLE RATIO CONFIGURE
a. The NGS Tester will display "DETERMINING MODULE PROTOCOL, PLEASE WAIT"
b. When NGS Tester is ready, press {TRIGGER} to continue.
4. ENTER TIRE SIZE/REVOLUTIONS PER MILE (REV/MILE)
5. SELECT: DONE

I know that not many of you have a NGS, but this is just so you know what happens when whoever does the reprogramming is doing and you can stay up to date. My speedo is in within 1-2mph! Use to be 5mph+ at 0-45mph and 10mph+ 55mph+! It's a wonderful thing now.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

me

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Did you use the process that I described or a different way?

-Drew

i tried a differen way as mentioned above and thn did it your way, it was more accurate doing it your way

What Im curious of is, the people that have reprogramed using the NGS..

where did you get your hands on one cause ive done some searching & its over $2g's.

Hardly anyone owns their own NGS - however, all Ford dealerships should have one or atleast the WDS.

-Drew

Got ya & you said the dealer charges .7/hr to do it, would I have to figure out the revolutions before I went there or does the dealer figure that our as well?

They may charge you extra if they are smart enough to figure it out. I mean it's not a hard concept - but they may not think of it. You could calculate it yourself easily and just hand them the number with the Revolutions Per Mile and you'll be set!

-Drew

ok im curios about one thing. From what you said i have a speedo gear, but in my thread, i cant remeber who said, said that i have the electronic one through the abs. Its a early 97 model with a build date in late 96. I know i have the speedo gear, this is correct right?

correct - 98+ use the wheel sensors -- yours however still uses a gear in the transmission.

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
correct - 98+ use the wheel sensors -- yours however still uses a gear in the transmission.

-Drew

Actually the speed sensor is combined with the rear axel ABS sensor.

think i am gonna do this soon.

linky no workie....the one for us with a speedo gear in the tranny

so you say it fixed your shifing points? How so? How does it feel off? Doesn't shift point depends on rpm off the tach and not the speedo?

i'm calling around..(well 2 ford stealerships), and they both want to charge me a full hour of labor. the second stealership tried to explain to me all the "complex" calculations they would have to make, so i said i would come in with all the "complex" numbers. over the phone i hear "hey bob!, what if the guy comes in with his own math, how much do we charge for programing?" ..... $97 was the answer to that question. so i guess it doesnt make a difference if i do the math myself or not.

it frustrates me that they want to charge a full hour of labor for a 5 minute job. i mean i wouldnt mind paying 25-30 bucks(.25-.4 hours), but i am NOT going to pay 100 bucks(after tax and all) for some jackass to most likely screw up the calculations and program my truck for a full 33" tire(instead of doing chalk test or checking manufacturers website for actual revs per mile) and spend 5 minutes on my truck. grrr.

too bad autozone doesnt rent the NGS. Do you know anywhere that rents them or wouldnt rape me if i brought my truck in?

Yea that suxs for sure. I know some garages have a min 1hr labor charge. I would probly do the math myself anyhow.

if you lived in VA we could do it. Search for a independent shop - a good one that is.

-Drew

Back