Resetting Anti Theft System: Help Please!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resetting Anti Theft System: Help Please!!

ExCon

Reaction score
City, State
TAMPA FLORIDA!!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EDDIE BAUER 5.0 LITE
I had 2 idiots detailing my truck and somehow by using the pressure washer they now have the truck in "theft" mode and the truck will not start. Does anyone know a way to "clear" the CPU and reset the system? Is there a reset switch or a fuse I can pull for a few minutes? HELP!! MY WIFE IS FREAKING OUT!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15 mins.

Thanks!!!

Any other suggestions? Also no fuel going to engine...

Check the inertia switch. Its on the passanger side under the carpet.

The inertia switch didn't 'pop up'. Is there something else to tth to reset ?

Should read "do to reset factory anti-theft?"
Truck ran fine. Disconnected battery to change post terminals. plugs, wires. Assembled all & ...nothing. Just turns over. Could it be anti theft because dash light keeps blinking. Help!

You have to clarify your observations to help the forum a bit. When you put your key in the ignition, EXACTLY what happens when you turn the key to ON in terms of the theft light (ie. flashes slowly, flashes fast, flashes what?).... go from there. Further have you tried other keys.... does the system response change?

1) The "theft" light (indicator) on the dash flashes fast when the key is in the ON position. The engine turns over & no fuel is getting to the engine (as though the fuel has been disabled {by the PATS being ON?}
2) Only have one key at purchase so no, I have yet to try any other(s).

Thanks for your replies thus far. Keep em' coming!!

:-( I think you going to have problems trying to get around this. The "fast" flashing is a bad sign. Make sure you have powering going everywhere... check ALL your fuses... perhaps a "wet ingression" sprung one. Perhaps cleaning / drying PCM connections along PATS module connections might help.

What is "wet ingression"? PCM module?
Possible thatbattery terminal posts changes caused
pats trigger?

Theft light will flash 6 times in succession, pause, flash once, pause, then repeat.
The light will then disappear bit still no start

From what I heard there is a actual flash "code". Like 1 flash pause then 5 flashes, then it repeats. If yours flashes 1 then 6 times it means there is a fault between the PATS module and EECV.

Blee1099, thanks for your reply. Any remedy suggestion (s) to try?

Blee1099 has it right. A communication problem between the PATS (Perimeter Anti-Theft System) and the EECV (Electronic Engine Control version 5) module. The PATS system disables engine start under various scenarios, usually involving somebody trying to steal your truck.

Basically you've got a wiring problem between the two it seems. You're facing a lot of circuit tracing and diagnosis or worse taking it to the dealer.

Thanks for your input as well, Chikar. Short of dealer visit what recourse is there?
Circuit tracing - not a strong point and manuals not bog on circuit diagrams.
Any other possibilities? Drove fine until battery change....

Hi RubenT;

If you're not good at electrical work like circuit tracing and don't have access to a manual with test procedures and circuit diagrams I'm afraid you're stuck with taking it to a shop. It doesn't necessarily have to be a dealer. There are independent shops out there with very capable techs and they do tend to be less expensive.

Although the flash code says there is a communication problem between the PATS and the EECV the problem could actually be that one or the other has failed. While the Ford modules have a reputation for being almost indestructible they CAN fail.

You mentioned changing the battery posts. There will almost always be a bit of a spark as a cable is removed from a battery post. That puts a voltage spike into the trucks wiring which MAY have damaged a module. Pretty unlikely but it can happen. I've been an electronics and computer tech for over 30 years and have seen it happen.

Ruben T, you brought up an old thread (I failed to notice that) with "any other suggestions?". You need to fully restate what your vehicle is doing and how it got that way... now you state that you change battery cabling when this started. Do you have a remote starter installed in this vehicle? As suggested try cleaning the connections at the pcm and the PATS. Have you checked ALL your fuses??

My 98 explorer turns over, will not start. I can hear the fuel pump come on. Code read says the car thinks it's being stolen. Please help. Can I switch the brain box with a 99?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back