pos anti-theft system | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pos anti-theft system

They likely began by replacing parts with new parts, and charge for each as they go. That would not be ethical.

That's why they call it the stealership!! ...*******s...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious as to what the outcome was?

I am having similar problems.

i don't have the service bill handy but they started by saying the transponder receiving ring was bad, along with the PATS module, replaced both but still didn't start, then replaced general engine module and it is working again, but i am $450 poorer.

The GEM is the Generic Electronic Module... That's not a cheap part, but any do-it-yourselfer can change it in about 20 minutes...

Sounds like they didn't do a proper diagnostic and preferred to just throw parts at it instead. Before I ever authorize a repair, I want to know what's broke, and not why they think it's broke, but what testing they performed to know it's broke.

In this case, it should have started with retrieving the DTC, which should have been a P1260 if the PATS system was activated. Then, it should have gone on to check the service manual which outlines the diagnostics for the PATS system... If the transceiver was bad, the system would have thrown a B2103 or B1232 DTC (antenna not connected defective transceiver) indicating as such. They should not have replaced it unless they had ascertained through a PROPER diagnostic that it was bad in the first place.

I despise shops that operate like that. (i.e. parts changers) If they'd take the time to do it right, we wouldn't have these problems...

-Joe

i completely agree with you joe, if i wasn't short on time i would have just done the replacement myself. i also wrote a letter to both the Ford dealer and the national branch explaining my frustration (they also threw away the old parts, against my specific request) but never received any kind of response except for a "Merry Christmas, let us tune up your car for you" greeting card from the service department which was immediately burned. needless to say i won't be giving them my business any more.

Back