Resistors hot? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resistors hot?

I've just made up a 24 LED assembly on a piece of project board. It has 13kmcd white LED's running off of 1/4 watt 470 ohm resistors. The dang resistors get so hot they melt my hot glue and you can't touch them, and I'm afraid to install it now. It was going to be a replacement for the dome light over the cargo area in my exp. Should I seal it with something else and install it? I'm not sure how hot it is, and my infrared thermometer is at work Or should I not be cheap and go to radio shack and load up on 1/2 watt resistors? I really don't want to have to remove all my resistors and replace them, but thats a heck of a lot better than chucking the whole thing and starting over, or worse, burning up my exp.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Resistors

Well id say go for the 1/2 watt but i would assume the 1/4 watts are being overtaxed...but im not so much an electrical guy...im an engines guy>:D

Come to think of it, I could run the LED's in parallel and just use a single smaller resistor, I think thats what I will try here. Still looking for any advice anyone can give.

In my 98, I gave up one of the two cig lighters. The one near the floor was very easy to get to. Didn't even need to unbolt anything. However, I am thinking I need a resistor also because I popped my fuse within only 24 hours time :rolleyes:

470ohm 1/4 watt resistors are what you should be using say for leds that use 3.2v and 20ma for 12v. Maybe the leds are different rating.

I use http://ledcalc.com/ to calculate my resistors

Back