Front Driver Side Brake Line Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Driver Side Brake Line Replacement

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
I need to replace the front driver side brake line on my Explorer, but after removing the line, I realized there is a flexible part in the middle. Has anyone else replaced this line, and if so, did you just go with a solid line, or did you some how replicate the flexible part?

IMG_20180818_183104267.jpg

I went with a solid line a year ago when i replaced mine - worked fine

The way a lot of people do it is you run the line starting at the wheel first, and leave about a foot and a half extra slack at the engine compartment end, then you take a sturdy round object, say a metal soup can or baseball bat, or the handle of a floor jack if your line is easily bent in this tighter radius, and you put about 3 loops of brake line wound around it, so these loops create some play like the former flexible
section did.

The loops do not need to be where the original flexible segment was, usually you fit them where you can and it's usually as high as possible if the way the line is strung means one end has to be fastened down already to route the rest. You could possibly go the opposite direction and put the loops in first, then string it down towards the wheel... up to you which way looks easiest. If your line is hard to bend then putting the loops in first may be easiest, but the typical coated steel line from an auto parts store or especially CuNi (copper nickel) isn't hard to bend in a roughly 2.25" diameter.

I'll see if I can dig up some internet picture...

brake_booster_16_mounted[1].jpg

252463d1151811222-whats-purpose-brake-line-coils-brakelines_02[1].jpg

PmtX6[1].jpg

Thanks for the photos. Good examples.

Back