Resonator - On or Off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resonator - On or Off?

Reaction score
City, State
New Port Richey, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0
I just recently purchased the Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler for my '98 5.0 EX and before I install it I was wondering whether or not I should take the resonator off (the rest of the exhaust is stock) while I was down there. I'm mainly concerned about the sound...What does the resonator do? Does it sound better with a resonator or w/o? Louder or quieter? Maybe someone bought a muffler and installed it and then decided to take off the resonator? I'm curious to read your responses...Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a 5.0 with V-8, you can probably remove it without too much of an issue. I know that on the SOHC in the Sport, removing the resonator results in an unbearable drone at freeway speeds. My best guess is that the extra length in the plumbing on the V-8s is enough to make a difference.

-Joe

whats the difference w/ the resonator on? what does it do to the sound?

I chose a high quality resonator to go with my Edelbrock SDT muffler for my SOHC. I would not want it to be any louder than it is, I suggest keeping or replacing the resonator. There are cheap versions for $30 or so(Summit), and others nearing $100 each. I chose a muffler with correct inlets, but 3" oulet pipe(only size). Thus I chose a 2.5" resonator and had them make a 2.5" tail pipe. Good luck,

I remove it when I did a 2 1/2" cat back. I use a Flowmaster 70 muffler and there is no interior noise unless you stomp on it.

Back