Restoring and repainting tupperware/step bar/interior plastic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Restoring and repainting tupperware/step bar/interior plastic

I know this has truly been beat to death, and with my dad as a contractor, he has never touched the paint on a car... so he really doesn't help me out here.

Anyways, I'd like to paint the flares and bumpers (front/rear) to match my body, black. Even though it's still black tupperware, I'm going for that "body styling" effect or what you want to call it.

My step bars have almost changed in color.. I've driven over 2 white spray paint cans because the *beep* up the the street ALWAYS have work going on in their house and never once clean up their crap. So basically, I'd like to restore it black -- not sure whether to go satin or gloss yet, but I'm wanting to repaint it. Also... I've seen quite of few people in here paint their dashes/radio cluster/etc, I'd like to do this as well.

I know pretty much the process for most of this... prime the plastic with plastic primer after sanding with 320-200 grit, metal sand and prime, and same goes for interior.

Me, I'd like to accomplish this with spray paint (or rattle cans?) -- will this give me a result just as good as if sprayed on with a compressor if done right?

Guess my next question (and final) is this: What is the preferred spray paint/rattle cans I should use? For plastic? For metal?

Any special ideas/tips I should know or certain processes you guys used that returned excellent results?

I've read hydroxy's thread a few times now, as well as drew's bumper painting and fiberglassing, so I sort of catch the swift of this.

I *really* appreciate this... I'm really tired of looking at the white on my car from the stupid paint cans in the middle of the road :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If done properly yes, rattle cans will work fine. I painted the outside of the B and D pillar (the black part that tends to fade) and it was has gone 2 Canadian winters only showing signs of wear in areas I know I didn't do a good enough job sanding in. I used tremclad paint, and granted it was metal. Since these are plastic parts, Find a paint for plastics, I've heard that the newer Krylon stuff, sorry can't remember the name, works fantastic! Good luck, and show us some pics if you can when you get it done.

It's called Krylon Fusion. It is specifically made for plastics.
Also, rattlecan might not look as good as professionally painted items, which is to be expected, but if you use a satin paint like I did, you probably wouldn't be able to notice much difference. Satin and flat paints are very forgiving. Good Luck!

Got myself some cans of Krylon Fusion (gloss black).

As far as the step bar goes.. I'd like to restore it as it was before I ran over a few spray paint cans accross the street the neighbor doesn't seem to pick up. Preferably, how should I restore it? (metal)

Not entirely sure what paint to use... but I know I'm going to need to sand it (grit?), prime (brand/model?) and finally paint some light coats.

Metal is fairly simple, just sand it down with about 400 grit sandpaper til its nice and smooth. Then use something like maybe Rustoleum primer, choose the colour thats closest to the final colour. Lastly get Rustoleum in the colour you want and paint. Step Bars might be trickey as im picturing tubing in my head, and they might want to run, or sag. Good Luck!

Have you seen this Krylon Fusion paint anywhere (in Ontario)??
I'm trying to find it.

Thanks,
PJ

bates said:
It's called Krylon Fusion. It is specifically made for plastics.
Also, rattlecan might not look as good as professionally painted items, which is to be expected, but if you use a satin paint like I did, you probably wouldn't be able to notice much difference. Satin and flat paints are very forgiving. Good Luck!

I bought some at Cdn Tire also where in Ont. can I buy some fender flares?

Back