Return from the Mojave Trail March '08 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from the Mojave Trail March '08

...harley had a blast as usual...i don't think there's many rocks or bushes out there she didn't explore...all around our campsite was lava rock and we all watched harley do her version of wheelin' on them...she definately is an explorer...:D

...the scenery as usual, the pics don't do it justice...it's not moab but still gorgeous especially when it's blooming...i like nature at it's purest and this is definately a once in a lifetime trip to see just that, and should be done by all...;)

...when you are out there and see the cactus with thorns as long as your fingers and you are dodging joshua trees on both sides at the same time while getting striped on both sides, while dodging pumpkin busters and tire cutters....well, if it was back in the old days and someone wanted me to ride along in a buckboard, :eek: heck no!!!...i'll take a horse...the road is not that rough but there is no way i would try that trek in a old fashioned wagon...it must have taken forever back then to get across...and if it was hot, i don't know how they did it...:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Brian1, are you interested in doing this run in late march???...:scratch:

Definitely want to do this trail sometime! Was just thinking about it last week actually.

So do we want to set a weekend on the calendar? March 28-29th is the beginning of my spring break so that would be perfect, or April 4th-5th before going back to school.

For those that have been on this road before, could a subaru impreza make it with such low ground clearance?

...I would not try and take a low profile vehicle out there like a car...

...4wd is almost a must due to all the sand traps out there...Otherwise, you will spend most of your time getting unstuck...:dunno:

...If Brian1 goes, I'm pretty sure it will be more than a fast paced, 2 day trip...Maybe a 3 1/2 day trip...

Is there a preferred direction to go?

Is there a preferred direction to go?

...:scratch:...I'm guess I don't understand your question...

...The direct route is about 135 miles across the desert...There are several forks in the road that can lead you to many preferred locations in the Mojave desert...

..This is not a well mapped road/trail, as in signage...You have to keep an eye out for stacked rocks on the right side of the trail of the main road...If you go to the first post of this thread, it will lead you to the original thread which has more info...

...Here is a road sign just off the road....
DSC_0006_1.preview.JPG

I meant starting in laughlin or starting around barstow.

...We started by Laughlin and came back through the desert in this thread...There might be other trail reports on here that show a differnt starting place...The other thread I mentioned also links to maps and the book....:dunno:

...You guys should continue planning this and post your dates...I know a lot of people would be interested in going...:biggthump

...I want to wait till Brian1 can go and we can do what he had planned last year, before his accident...I had a blast last year but would also like to take the time to see some different areas and do some more exploring my next trip out there...

...I'm good for a fall run as long as it cools off and the snakes and such are asleep...:D

I'd still like to run this trail sometime soon if others are up for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump, anyone up for this?

Back