• Register Today It's free!

Reuse intake manifold gasket?

2000SL2

Reaction score
City, State
Muse, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4X4
I have been having a problem getting it to seal on a '93 XLT. I think I need to use more RTV around the water jacket ports. If I remove the lower intake manifold gasket can I reuse it again? I just installed it 2 days ago. I used the metal OEM Ford one. Also, where all do you use RTV? I used it on the front and back mating surfaces between the block and manifold and around the water jackets before installing the gasket. Then in the four corners after I installed it. Should I put more sealant on the manifold side of the gasket around the water jackets as well? The manual only called for putting RTV on the heads and block only and didn't call for putting it on top of the gasket. Thanks.

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ya you should be able too although you are only supposed to use it at the corners and the water jackets according to the haynes manual

Hmmm...My Haynes says to use it RTV on the block mating surfaces. What's the right way then?

Brian

When rebuilding my V8 this spring (very similar OHV design) I used the lower intake manifold gaskets between the cylinder heads and the manifolds, and used "a big trailerpark goober of RTV" (thanks JamesT) on the front and rear block to manifold mating surfaces.

As to resuing the gasket? It got crushed when you torqued down the manifold, but if its only been a few days I'm sure they're fine. Inspect them, the safe thing to do is replace them but that may be overkill.

V8BoatBuilder said:
the safe thing to do is replace them but that may be overkill.

Indeed.

As cheap as gaskets are, why take a chance?

Good luck....

If you are having a problem getting the gasket to seal, then I hope the metal mating surfaces themselves are not warped. Hopefully it's just a case of the gasket not quite seated properly, or RTV not doing it's thing. I have always used OEM Ford gaskets as I don't care for the quality of most aftermarket gaskets I have seen.

Fel-Pro makes the ford ones, are just as good, and availible anywhere.

Back