Rev limiter problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rev limiter problem?

Reaction score
City, State
Central Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Eddie Bauer
Recently I noticed a slight revving at idle. Difficult to explain, but seems somewhat like "rev...rev...rev...." Not the best of explainations but hopefully it will help.

I did try to do a search on this, but no luck in finding the exact problem. This only happens when the heat is on. Almost like someone is slightly touching the gas and quickly letting go. The engine still runs very strong and no problems otherwise.

Ive seen this with some older Acuras, and other cars with 'similiar' problems, and it turned out to be a rev limiter. Is this a problem on the Explorers? Or are the miles just getting up there and it may be a normal thing to go?

In any event it is a 96 Eddie Bauer,102K,K&N intake.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

--Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What may be happening is the a/c compressor cycling on and off because it's too low or too high on refrigerant. Pop the hood and watch and see if that's the case. If so, you'll just need to service it.

Jason, thanks for the quick reply. That may very well be a possibility, as near the end of the summer the AC died (ran out) I figured on waiting till spring to refill because of the cold months.

Thank you again,

--Don

No problem Don. If you still want the heat without having to run the compressor and wear it out by cycling on and off you can choose the "floor" setting on the HVAC and that is the only setting that the compressor won't come on in.

wow the things you learn. I guess I should have came on this site 2 years ago when we got the truck, not now when Im trying to sell it. :(

--Don

Back