reversing the maf sensor connector ? black smoke out of exhuast??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

reversing the maf sensor connector ? black smoke out of exhuast???

clawhn1

Reaction score
City, State
Katy TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 v8 and 93 xlt
hi,93 explorer automatic 4.0 2wd..... 2 questions:

1. i had a damaged connecter on the wiring harness that attaches to the mass air flow sensor...so ford replaced it, but im curious if they did it right, so my question is, if they by mistake reversed the four wires and got it reveresed,(the connecter seems to be upside down now thats why im asking) would the car ride the same, would it not ride at all or just have black smoke? when i say reversed i mean, if you order the four wires in the harness from 1 to 4, and ford accidently wired the new connector 4 to 1 what would happen..this would reverse the sig,+- right????

2.question two, car was surging during acclerleration for about to days,no smoke out of exhaust,then i started it and it seems to run as a 2 cycle motorcylce and blowing LOTS of black smoke out of exhuast and in idle vibrates the whole car ,,...i guess its running rich, ford couldnt find the problem..i have a bad o2 sensor on exhuast showing lean, maybe i should replace all o2 sensors,and spark plugs and maybe coil pack will that fix the black smoke and shaking idle? or is it idle control valve? but why would a icv cause black smoke?

now after ford replaced the maf sensor connector, it still vibrates but not as bad and still has smoke but not as bad, but now the gauge for hot cold is wiggling back and forth as a drive like its about to overheat....i know my fan clutch is bad since its roaring loud but it does this even just 1 minute into driving, and it didnt have this problem last week when i took it to ford to check the black smoke

Back