REVIEW: I picked up new 2013 Ford Explorer this past Saturday (3/31/2012) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

REVIEW: I picked up new 2013 Ford Explorer this past Saturday (3/31/2012)

Congrats on the new Explorer. And thanks for the useful review. Be glad it's a 2 year lease with flexibility.

Thank you!
I was thinking that a simulator would be a great learning tool for Sync/MFT. The software is already written and runs on the computer installed in the car's dash. Porting it to the PC or Apple shouldn't be a big stretch or time commitment, and coupled with a microphone for voice recognition, it would be a great way to become adept at the functionality.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you so much for all of the info and for taking the time to provide it.

As for the door locking functionality, it really is a convenience and usability thing. I experimented with this last night. Carefully touching just the black spot locks the door the first time. The issue is, however, that my thumb is bigger than that spot, so inadvertently touching the chrome is an effort to avoid, and is unnatural.
Touching the chrome part of the handle should not prevent it from locking with the black button as long as you are not touching the back of the handle. It is only the back part that is touch sensitive to unlocking the door. You should be able to touch the front chrome and still lock it. I just tried it to make sure it worked.

As for the folding mirrors and other locking/unlocking senarios, I guess much of that is a personal thing. I can certainly see where in your case they would be desireable features.

Good luck with your new ride.

Peter

Thank you!
I was thinking that a simulator would be a great learning tool for Sync/MFT. The software is already written and runs on the computer installed in the car's dash. Porting it to the PC or Apple shouldn't be a big stretch or time commitment, and coupled with a microphone for voice recognition, it would be a great way to become adept at the functionality.

I know it isn't a 'fully functioning' simulator that takes voice inputs, but there is a 'demo' available as an iphone/ipad app that has the MFT software with the option to have certain highlighted buttons explained. Not perfect, but definitely better than not having anything.

I also picked up my 2013 Explorer XLT on 3/31/12 and love it. It's comfortable, gets good gas mileage (25.3 on the highway) well mannered, quiet, and very nice to drive. No problems whatsoever. The wife loves it and she drives a 2012 Mercedes E 350. We test drove alot of cars and suv's prior to driving the Explorer, and the Explorer was the best by far. I am sorry you don't like yours but I would highly recommend this vehicle to anybody. Seems like you should have spent more time behind the wheel prior to buying it.

I also picked up my 2013 Explorer XLT on 3/31/12 and love it. It's comfortable, gets good gas mileage (25.3 on the highway) well mannered, quiet, and very nice to drive. No problems whatsoever. The wife loves it and she drives a 2012 Mercedes E 350. We test drove alot of cars and suv's prior to driving the Explorer, and the Explorer was the best by far. I am sorry you don't like yours but I would highly recommend this vehicle to anybody. Seems like you should have spent more time behind the wheel prior to buying it.
Welcome to the Forum bamacommander and it's nice to hear that you also enjoy your new Explorer. :wavey:

Peter

Does the XLT have the features that the Limited with the 302A package has? If not, then I am glad you like your car, but you're comparing apples to staplers.

The E350 has a different "mission" than the Explorer. I had a GL450 on a two year lease years ago and could not justify the relatively low residual and resultant high monthly payments compared to the Volvo XC90 (which also has poor residuals, but is tens of thousands cheaper than the comparably equipped 450), especially since Mercedes generally rips off Volvo's safety tech several years after the fact.

Th Ex Limited with 302A is the closest I see in the market feature-wise at a relatively low entry price point that was from a non-taxpayer-screwing car company (GM). I was expecting the same refinement in those features that Volvo and MB have, meaning, all of the "little things" are there and things just work.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have no doubt, however, that Ford will continue to refine these features in future model years, but again, I thought I was paying for them now.

The dealership did not have a 2013 Limited on the lot. As a matter of fact, the highest end Ex on the lot was a 2102 XLT. No area dealerships had 2013 Explorers in inventory when I ordered in February, let alone having the 302A package. So, unfortunately, we had to take a leap of faith.

"but you're comparing apples to staplers."

Is exactly what I thought about comparing the EX LTD to an XC 60. Isn't the XC 60 just a station wagon vs the EX which is a midsize SUV?

Martin V

"but you're comparing apples to staplers."

Is exactly what I thought about comparing the EX LTD to an XC 60. Isn't the XC 60 just a station wagon vs the EX which is a midsize SUV?

Martin V

Absolutely. The XC60 is actually crossover, more comparable to the Edge. I'm looking at the feature sets, and the XC60 is the car we most recently owned. The 2008 V8 XC90 AWD we leased for two years is a much better comparison, but yet again, the fully loaded Ex pales in comparison, but the XC90 was a $63K car, while the loaded 2010 XC60 was a bit cheaper than the Ex we have, so I tried to compare vehicles at the same price point that I've had experience with with similar features, rather than having the same 'mission', such as the XC90 or the GL450 but far more expensive.

In short, I'm looking at the bang for the buck/value proposition on a feature for feature comparison.

Touching the chrome part of the handle should not prevent it from locking with the black button as long as you are not touching the back of the handle. It is only the back part that is touch sensitive to unlocking the door. You should be able to touch the front chrome and still lock it. I just tried it to make sure it worked.
Peter

For whatever reason, on our car, touching any part of the handle will unlock, including the area around the black 'thing' (since it's not a button...more like a target, I guess, since I have to touch it square-on).

"The XC60 is actually crossover"

The same people that want you to believe that IKEA makes quality furniture, also want you to believe that the XC60 is actually a crossover. LOL :D;)

When I took my first test drive, my salesperson took the time to show me all around MFT. I'm sorry you didn't get that same service. You should have found the time to test the system and/or had it demo'd to you before pulling the trigger on a $40k purchase.

MFT is just one of the features of this not $40K, but $50K vehicle (2013 Limited, 302A, DVD players, cross bars, all weather mats, bumper scuff protector).

I think this bears mentioning. The Explorer is not a $40k vehicle, or a $50k vehicle. The "standard" explorer is a $28k vehicle. A Limited 302A with everything is essentially a $28k base model with leather seats, bigger rims, and a bunch of electronics. All those bells and whistles add a lot to the price, but don't actually change the vehicle. It is without question not a luxury vehicle and Ford doesn't claim it to be so.

For whatever reason, on our car, touching any part of the handle will unlock, including the area around the black 'thing' (since it's not a button...more like a target, I guess, since I have to touch it square-on).
Does that also apply to the front passenger door handle?
Something does sound right. The unlock should only activate by touching the back or inside part of the handle at least that is how mine works and that is what the 2011 Owner's Guide says.

Peter

I have the 202A package that includes Nav and other goodies. In reviewing your comments it appears that you seem to be naturally a very angry person. If you are really that worked up about your car, it sounds like you can afford to trade in this vehicle and thus find happiness elsewhere. Stress is a killer, put it behind you and move on to another car.

"The XC60 is actually crossover"

The same people that want you to believe that IKEA makes quality furniture, also want you to believe that the XC60 is actually a crossover. LOL :D;)

btw it is a crossover, at 182" long, 67" tall, 74" wide and 4000+ pounds. It's categorized as an SUV, besides having the dimensions of an compact SUV, it has the mediocre gas mileage consistent w/SUVs.

Not aware of that claim by IKEA, not important, not applicable. :D

Seems like you should have spent more time behind the wheel prior to buying it.

This is an understatement....Everyone should spend an hour with the vehicle, maybe more than once also. Its a big purchase.

This is an understatement....Everyone should spend an hour with the vehicle, maybe more than once also. Its a big purchase.
I usually like to sit in it to get a feel for the layout of the controls, adjustments and outward visibility. Then a test drive. I must admit that with the Explorer I did none of that before I placed my order. The main reason is that the vehicle was just in production and wasn't on the lots yet.
It was a bit of a risk, going by pictures and the odd write-up but I don't regret it one bit.

Peter

I have been comparing both XC60 and Explorer for the past 3 months. Both of those vehicle are so different. One thing I have to debate is putting Volvo in the same categlory as BMW, MB, Infiniti. the XC60 is nothing compare to Q5 or the X3. The service, well some of the dealership are no better then Ford. I personally like to new infiniti JX. Nice starting price goes 50k+ with everything.

In regards to pricing. for the xc60 premium I can get about 5200 off the msrp.
For the explorer 2012 limited 4wd with 302 plus sun about 6400 off. that price was quoted 6 weeks back in includes the 750 coupon you get from ford.

The EX do drive like a big truck and the XC60 is nimble. But, the XC60 is much smaller.
The Gas mileage is a real turn off from the Volvo. Compare it to the new X3 or Q5 then you'll see why its not hard to get 5k off the car.

One think I do like to volvo over EX is the look, the standard city safe, plus all maintance paid for the first 5 years. But the loaner car is strictly depends on the dealer. I dont see MB or BMW doing that.

But if you factoring good negotiation skills and the bottom line price. The ford explorer looking pretty damn good.

Still a hard decision 5 seaters or a 7 seaters. hum.... Plus there's the dodge durango citadel. 8 speed auto is coming in a few months.

Decision, decision.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been comparing both XC60 and Explorer for the past 3 months. Both of those vehicle are so different. One thing I have to debate is putting Volvo in the same categlory as BMW, MB, Infiniti. the XC60 is nothing compare to Q5 or the X3. The service, well some of the dealership are no better then Ford. I personally like to new infiniti JX. Nice starting price goes 50k+ with everything.

In regards to pricing. for the xc60 premium I can get about 5200 off the msrp.
For the explorer 2012 limited 4wd with 302 plus sun about 6400 off. that price was quoted 6 weeks back in includes the 750 coupon you get from ford.

The EX do drive like a big truck and the XC60 is nimble. But, the XC60 is much smaller.
The Gas mileage is a real turn off from the Volvo. Compare it to the new X3 or Q5 then you'll see why its not hard to get 5k off the car.

One think I do like to volvo over EX is the look, the standard city safe, plus all maintance paid for the first 5 years. But the loaner car is strictly depends on the dealer. I dont see MB or BMW doing that.

But if you factoring good negotiation skills and the bottom line price. The ford explorer looking pretty damn good.

Still a hard decision 5 seaters or a 7 seaters. hum.... Plus there's the dodge durango citadel. 8 speed auto is coming in a few months.

Decision, decision.
X3 is def best in it's class, I did not like the old one, it didn't drive that nice and interior just felt cheap everywhere, but the new one is really nice especially in 35I form. It flies and still gets great mileage for the class and it's power.

Back