Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2 | Page 145 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ricks Bronco: 1and 1/2

p_00167-1.jpg

I think you need bigger meats. :D

Very nice articulation. Wish my Explorer had a quarter of that...

Heck, I'd settle for even an eighth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

p_00177.jpg

A few posts back i mentioned how I got a slight bog on the way back from the FN at Carlisle. Well here's the problem, I thought it was a fuel delivery problem cause there was no back fire right after the slight hesitation. I first thought it might have been an electrical when I found a connection that was not tight. But it happened one more time after slipping in the connection all the way.
So started checking the gas filters and bingo. This is the filter right before the carb. It had some of the sealer that I used to install the fuel guage sender. This happened one time before. May have to take sender off and do a fiber gasket. Or else this might have been left over from the first bit of crap that fell in tank when tightening the sender :dunno:

p_00180.jpg

Took the fine filter out of the housing to clean.

p_00182.jpg

Also checked the filter in carburetor which was perfectly clean. The Summit pre filter did a fine job. Can't say that for my gasket making.

p_00184.jpg

Put the filter back together and also elevated the housing off of the hot valve covers.

DSC00333.jpg

A good friend of mine brought me down a whole box of foam insulation wrap and thought I might make good use of it.
Might just make somekind of leather looking cover for them either snaps or hook and loop

You had the fenders off it at AFN last weekend right?

You had the fenders off it at AFN last weekend right?

Yep, sometimes when I'm doing some trails I leave them off to see a good line to follow since i can now see in front of the tire. Even took one off when I crawled up on Zappers rig at the show to be able to see his tire. They have quick release cam fasteners. I can even slide the hood off also for an even better view, kinda like a buggy.
But what i really like about them was like yesterday I removed them to work on the engine compartment.

A good friend of mine brought me down a whole box of foam insulation wrap and thought I might make good use of it.
Might just make somekind of leather looking cover for them either snaps or hook and loop

just foam and electrical tape, thats how you gotta run it, then everyone will know that your a top racer, as well as a trophy winning trail rig

DSC06215.jpg

Funny how you add one thing and it effects another item. When doing some really steep climbs and the Atlas is in 4 low and mostly on rocks I have noticed a slight miss sometimes and then goes away when I let off the gas.

So the other day I had someone in the truck with foot on brake and Atlas in low while quickly torquing the truck while I turned off lights. Bingo problem solved. The torque created by the Atlas twists the frame and engine just enough where I saw a spark jump between the dist. cap and the engine truss.

p_00193.jpg

Now this miss never materialized before the Atlas, but with the torque multiplication that it develops now, things start changing. So I need to raise the part that is directly over the dist. cap. Upon torque one wire actually touched the engine strut.
At 50,000 volts it don't take much to jump to the nearest ground. Also will replace all spark plug wires later.

p_00196.jpg

Fitting up.

p_00198.jpg

Almost done.
I do have chains on both sides of the engine but the small amount of slack between links still lets the spark plug wire get too close.
So now this should not be an issue.

I'm not sure if I'm going to the Truck Nationals up in Carlisle.
There is no classification for Trail truck like they did at the AFN. Below is a link to the different Ford classes.
I really don't see definite class for this truck. I think this may be more of a show and shine event. Any ideas?
Also just noticed there are more classes on page 3 that seems to be non specific make classes.
84 B2, well that's what it was before I started working on it lol

http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/pdf/2011_Truck_Classes.pdf

There were all kinds of trucks there last year Rookie

EDIT: I think you would fit 142

There were all kinds of trucks there last year Rookie

EDIT: I think you would fit 142

Would class 137 just be for Rangers?
Is that what they mean by Mini? or could a B2 also fit that class?
Or is mine too radical for that class also.

then there is 138 and 141:dunno:

I see that 142 does say custom and that might be the one.

Umm....idk? I think maybe you should just call them up Monday and ask them what class you would fit under...

Umm....idk? I think maybe you should just call them up Monday and ask them what class you would fit under...

Now that sounds like a plan. I did email them a few days ago and suggested a trail class for all the trucks. Have not head from them.

Are you going up? Zapper said he'll be there doing the rocks.

I'm not sure, I plan on stopping to check out the trucks, unless I have my 94 back on the road then I doubt I would show, the 96 isn't really anything to compete with :p:

Ditto on the bigger meats. In fact I'm making a material list to junk the Junk electric garage door and anything connected to it, like motor, all that low hanging hardware including the door. By making my own door either sliding or hinged I'll be able to go to taller meats. And then I can increase the height of the snorkel, Lightforce off-road light and might even build another roof cage for camping stuff. All this was either removed or lowered cause of the 35"s. Even if I had 37"s I could not even get into the garage now. So I made the executive decision of scraping the Lazy mans electric door for a real built door LOL. Then taller meats will be on this truck.

Anderson, I like your way of thinking about the roll bar insulation. And also the dirt on the trail truck. With out a doubt I had the worst and dirtiest paint job in the show.

p_00200.jpg

Done.

Hey Rick. This shot really shows the rear steer during flex.

248204_10150212415422513_699977512_7432237_6977126_n.jpg

The single triangulated rear would still have some. The double eliminates almost all flex steer.

Hey Rick. This shot really shows the rear steer during flex.

248204_10150212415422513_699977512_7432237_6977126_n.jpg

The single triangulated rear would still have some. The double eliminates almost all flex steer.

WOW! a picture tells a thousands words. Now you can see how the back right side tire not only comes close to the wheel well cause of articulation but also because of the rear steer. When this pic was taken the rear axle was unpinned allowing for all that rear steer. Had the pin been in place there would not have been that rear steer but then the left rear tire would have been high off the ground. I also like the angle and seperation of the front two links on the front right tire. At first I thought I was looking at both bottom links of both tires, but the one tire is too high up to see any link. Finding a workable mounting point for the upper link was the trickiest.
I think the right hand side of the truck would have what I call a sliding wheel base. It went from an already stretched WB of 103 to 105" lol.
Can't wait to get started on the rear triangulated 4 pt. |\ /| The bottom of the V will have a separate mounting points for each link.
This truck has been one big geometry lesson.
But far more important, thanks for the cool screen pic.

p_00203.jpg

p_00206.jpg

Well since I painted the engine strut after modifying for more dist. clearance, I went and slapped some more red on the rest of it. Well almost all of it, as you can still see some blue on some parts of the inner fender strut.
It so boring sitting around and watching the paint dry so I thought I'd air dry it by driving around the neighbor hood(less) and fenderless. Should have seen the women grabbing their kids and pets as this apocalyptic looking vehicle from some doom and gloom movie roamed the streets ;)

p_00207.jpg

Added some more foam to the interior cage along the roof.

It's been a busy 2011 so far with the Atlas, Aussie, start of the triangulated rear suspension, fuel cell, rebuilding one busted coilover and a few more things I forgot about ha ha. Now that darn garage door has put a dent in my plans. It put painting it off for awhile. Now this does not stop other mods cause I can still do everything else with the truck parked behind garage and use the door that's in the rear. The welder is located near the rear door anyway.
Two main things other then the new garage door for 2011 are finish the triangulated rear if for no other reason to see how it compares to the wristed radius arm. Hoping not to have to run a track bar for the street, but if I do it would be no big deal to make it detachable. And paint, just don't which order:rolleyes:
Have even started compiling 2012 list which will be really cool.
Also my wifes company is putting on their annual co. picnic which includes a car and truck show this Sat. Well if it's like the one last year forget Samson doing well. Clearly it was all about reflective wavelengths. The more shine it had, the better your chance. But it was still fun going to and talking to all the jeepers.

DSC00335.jpg

As if I didn't have enough going on, enter my $500 P.C.R.T.R or my Parts Chaser Recovery Tow Rig. This was not in my immediate plans with my family's week vacation starting this Sun. But my next door neighbor just bought a pickup for his home repair business. And asked me if I'd be interested, well to make a long story even longer I said I've got $500 cash I can slap in your hands right now. I was surprised when he thought it over and said "I'll take it". The only thing he ever towed with it was a couple times a year he would trailer two dirt bikes on a 50 mile round trip ride.
I've ridden in it and know that it needs a few sensors. And the body is banged up on the pass side. But for $500 who cares. All glass is good and all the electrical gadgets work. It's a 4.0 OHC with 124,000. The engine stumbles for awhile after initial start up and then runs fine. The air is ice cold and the tranny shifts fine. Now to start looking or building a trailer. Although one of my friends says I can use his as long as he gets to go on some trails...no problem. I guess a SOHC 4.0 would be better, but just as long as it has enough torque to get the trailer moving, it should work fine. I read that it does have good low end torque.

Now to try to get it ready to tow Sampson up to the Truck Nationals and more important to do some of these East Coast Trails.
Hey, wont have to worry about banging the body up if I need to recover Sampson...Can't hurt a piece of cake that's done been cut lol. Then the usual trail bumper mod with recovery hooks and such with larger tires should make it look a lil bette. That's if I can get the stumble out of the engine. Salvage yard sayed they'd give me $400 for it now.
DSC00336.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

I've read that the PDFE is been a real problem on this engine and I'll go ahead and replace that also if need be. Any one want to chime in on what sensors should be replaced go ahead.
He said Autozone put a meter on it and said some right bank sensor was bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back