• Register Today It's free!

Right rear brake stucks

Karpov

Reaction score
City, State
Finland so my english is bad :D
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4x4 '93
It happens when car is parked or stopped. Only 2minutes after drive can do it.

There is snow and ice so problem is very nasty. When i try left parking slot, car doesnt move on light gas because brake is jamming. When i press more gas you know... it goes sideways. Sometimes reversing helps and sometimes i just have to but 4x4 onand go by force.

Brake smells very very little after drive so it wont stuck whole time or it wont stuck bad at all the time.

I have used only parking brake (P is not working) and i think that it was the problem but now i havent use it many days and problem is still on.

Today i removed wheel and brake drum. I get it out bare hands, it was little bit tight but not super.

All seems okay and intact. I loose automatic adjust just in case. No effect.

When i drive little trip and turned and reversed car, brake stucks again.

What i do next? There was no ice/snow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the rear brakes...

Sometimes they grab if there's axle oil that has leaked by the seal. The axle oil will swell the brake shoes. But from what you said, your rear brakes are frozen after sitting for awhile, and not grabbing when you apply the brakes. Also you can remove the drum fairly easily. So, another cause could be a sticking wheel cylinder. Usually you hear of sticking front calipers (as mentioned above), but not common for the rear cylinder. It's a fairly inexpensive part. If you change one, I'd do them both.

I would think it's one of two things. Either your parking brake cable is sticking, or your ABS system has a valve failure, and it's trapping fluid to that wheel, keeping that brake on. They both should be easy to check. Just take off the drum again, and apply the brakes with the parking brake, and then later try just the normal brake pedal (engine idling). If the springs return the shoes to the normal position, look somewhere else for the problem.

dont press your brake pedal with the drum off. you probably have a Parking brake sticking. Check your mechanism, you may have a broken return spring or cable sticking.

Parking brake is not sticking its sure and ive checked it.

Now today and yesterday (knocking wood) it has been worked okay.

dont press your brake pedal with the drum off.

OOPS,
Yes, I wasn't thinking. You'll blow your wheel cylinders out. The idea was to try to apply the brakes to see if the springs return normally. Just the parking brake can do that.

If your parking brake isnt the problem, then it would have to be a sticking wheel cylinder or broken/ incorrectly placed return spring. You could try putting a belt around the brake shoes, fastening it on the tightest hole and have a helper press your pedal VERY gently and releaseing so you can watch the springs pulling the brake shoes back.

Okay i try!

It seems to stuck when i brake "hard", example stop crossing. No much speed needed.

Cracked drum.

periodically cleaning the brakes and adjusting them is a good idea, also lubricating the points there the shoes rub on the backing plate is a must. We use anti-seize compound.

Let see, now i have new springs, auto adjust parts and wheel cylinder for both rear brakes.

Must install soon.

Don't forget copper paste for lubrification

Don't forget copper paste for lubrification

Yeah now i have tube for it.

Nothing special to know about self adjust parts or bleeding? Just normal bleed both rear sides etc?

Better to bleed all 4 wheels. Got ABS?

Yea abs.

****ty weather, i replace just springs and auto adjuster parts. Cylinder next time-

Back