• Register Today It's free!

ring and pinion questions

GlendaleFord

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Ok here is the situation, I have a 97 XLT 4x4 4.0, it has a TT and 32's, i ordered the 883 BL, and the superlift 4", I plan on putting 33's ore 35's. i need to change the ring and pinions, but what to and how hard is it? i was thinking 4.11's, also from time to time i pull a 22 foot boat, what do you guys think? its just too bad all these parts are sitting at home and not on my truck while im in Iraq. but when i get home in november its on. thanks,

I'd do 4.56's over 4.11's. I'm on 33's with 4.56's and it's just about right. As for difficulty of install, it depends upon how mechanically inclined you are and if you have the right tools. You will need a dial indicator, ft-lb torque wrench, in-lb torque wrench, and air tools make it a whole lot easier. It takes a lot of time and patience to get the backlash, gear pattern and bearing pre-load properly set.

It's not rocket science but it isn't something that can just be done. It takes a few special tools (which will add up quick), and you have to get everything right or you'll destroy your gears. There are threads on here, and when you order gears they come with install instructions (Yukon has a really good manual you can download too). If I were you i'd probably just take it to get it done by a pro, or atleast find someone to help you who has experience in it. I'm going to be doing my own gears for my d44 but that is after much reading and the help of a much more experieinced guy. Look to local 4x4 clubs for help.

good luck

If you stay with the factory brand of R&P then many times the transfer of shims make the setup correct.

Back