• Register Today It's free!

Roaring - what to look for?

Kidd7

Reaction score
City, State
RTP, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X AWD EB 5L
2000 Ex v8 AWD Eddie 165k miles. The PO saved every receipt for her and gave them to me when I bought her. It's been very well taken care of.
There is a roaring when driving that seems to be speed sensitive, the faster I drive the more roar. It sounds similar to a wheel bearing, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from either of the 4 corners.
I put it up on stands this weekend and spun and shook the wheels for play. It doesn't seem to be wheel or axle bearings. Any advice to narrow this down would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fan clutch? Front driveshaft Cv joint?

Worn tires can drive a person CRAZY with noise. Some are designed to make more noise
as they wear so you will replace them.

Lots of threads here related to roaring sound.....check the "Similar Threads" links down at the bottom of this thread.

does it change with rpm?

I'm with @Mbrooks420

fan clutch will change with engine speed, sounds much like a b25 bomber taking off all the time, constant fan noise and poor mileage

Front driveshaft cardan joint at the transfer case, the rubber boot deteriorates and the dry joint can cause issues, will change with vehicles speed
Otherwise could be wheel bearing or CV axle

fan clutch will change with engine speed, sounds much like a b25 bomber taking off all the time, constant fan noise and poor mileage
can say this one is accurate, man with that thing locked up aounds like a big rig idling!

Looking over main records:
Tires have ~15k on them
Water Pump at 146K - I would think a shop would have changed the fan clutch also, but worth checking out.
Front drive shaft seal/ replace drive shaft at 111K
Xfer case fluid - 95k

I need to drive this some more to verify if the roar varied with RPM or speed. And ya'll gave me some things to look at. Thanks.

shop doing water pump does not change out fan clutch unless you ask them too or they actually inspect it and find it is bad
aftermarket driveshaft is suspect too

shop doing water pump does not change out fan clutch unless you ask them too or they actually inspect it and find it is bad
aftermarket driveshaft is suspect too
All the aftermarket shafts I’ve tried are trash. I get the joints cut off and new ones welded on now.

Update: I checked the fan clutch and no issues. The roar is speed related not RPM related. Doesn't seem to be noticeable until about 55 mph. I need to get her on the highway and listen a little better.

Any broken or cracked plastic on the front end? My daughter said her '15 Dodge Journey was making a loud roaring noise. I drove it and determined it was speed related and not rpm related. Her noise doesn't start until about 30 mph, and it's loudest around 35-40. After several miles, I concluded it is air flowing through/over the broken air dam below the bumper. Unfortunately, the way it's broken, I can't really fix it to confirm my thinking.

Airflow, interesting. Don't think there is any broken plastic, but will keep that in mind.
The front driveshaft is not original, not only do I have a receipt for it's replacement, but the surface rust is noticeably less than the rear driveshaft. The rubber bonding near the xfer case looks and feels good.
I have BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT tires on the 16" rims. Anyone have any experience with these? Noise levels, etc?

Back