Rockauto bad reman motorcraft alternator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rockauto bad reman motorcraft alternator

Bazz270

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa,Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007 XLT
Hi guys

A week ago my alternator suddenly dead.no charge and dash battery light.

Checked all the grounds and wiring acc. to ford workshop manual step by step.its an alternator problem for sure.

Ok.no problem.ordered motorcraft reman alternator from Rockauto.
Came with original ford package...but no "motorcraft" engraving....suspected as chinese junk...ok nevermind
Replaced it with good charge of 13.8v

After drivin during approximate 2 days with zero problem,battery light came once again!

Today checked this piece of junk using professional test stand (removed from my EX)and no charge at all once again!!

Is it some chinese or fake stuff came in original packaging or motorcraft have zero QC in their reman progress?

It looks ok,cleaned and painted,probably new diodes and regulator but no charge at all!

Now ordered new one from local alternator shop...but

How its possible?
Ordered a lot of motorcraft parts from rockauto with zero issues....
I am really confused.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your truck could be killing the alternators?
Yes it is totally possible to get a bad reman right out of the box, in fact I wont even install a reman alternator, I hate them that much.
Motorcraft reman I would trust more but it is still reman. I like to buy new Bosch alternators for these trucks
BUT it is also possible there is an issue on the truck side

Does your truck have an alternator/generator fuse or does it use fusible links on the power side of things?
The voltage regulator inside our alternators is powered....if there is an issue with the power or ground circuit here then it can cause even a new alt to have issues........

your truck could be killing the alternators?
Yes it is totally possible to get a bad reman right out of the box, in fact I wont even install a reman alternator, I hate them that much.
Motorcraft reman I would trust more but it is still reman. I like to buy new Bosch alternators for these trucks
BUT it is also possible there is an issue on the truck side

Does your truck have an alternator/generator fuse or does it use fusible links on the power side of things?
The voltage regulator inside our alternators is powered....if there is an issue with the power or ground circuit here then it can cause even a new alt to have issues........
Nope.every ground checked(also checked voltage drop).fusible links are ok too...dont know wtf..

Thought that maybe BAT 4 or 16 gauge or both of alternator wires have shortcut maybe and probably killed my regulator but it is no any issues with fuses,fusible links,resistance,voltage drops etc.

Now installed new aftermarket one alternator... working good...13.8v charge

well then get your $$$$ back from RA!!
PITA reman's
I install alot of parts, there is a reason I do not do reman alternators and starters....nothing but issues

Actually never sent to RA back from Israel..
With low level RA support email communication it is a bit complicated to send it back internationally (Amazon or Ebay working well but not the RA)with local customs issues.

So desided to give my bad motorcraft reman to my friend workshop for free.

And this photo after reassembling my bad motorcraft reman.as suspected,its totally chinese components.at least this regulator and the diodes bridge...

Anyway now happy with my brand new alternator.i believe if my truck has any wiring issues ill see it soon.

20201023_200823.jpg

A working alternator is fine today and not tomorrow.
A remand alternator will have it's components checked to be in spec, but just as on the car, it could go out tomorrow.
This is the problem with a remand alternator.
Maybe it was fine until it began its journey, ultimately to you. How many people dropped it from waste height to the freight pallet below before it reached you? All that abuse doesn't bide well.

I've had more problems with remand alternators, but I've also had bad bearings on new ones right out of the box.

And who rebuilds Ford Alternators? You go to any of the major rebuilders and you'll see AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reilly and FOMO boxes on their shelves, guarantee it.

Back