• Register Today It's free!

rocking side to side after lift

kristinandq

Reaction score
City, State
West Valley City Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer
Finally got around to having my suspension lift done and alignment. Also replaced all ball joints,bushings and pivot bushings. Now if i hit 45 it starts rocking like a boat side to side. My lift consists of 4 inch BDS coils cut and turned beams and soa in the rear. and a 2 inch body lift that is going to get cut down or removed. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What shocks are you running? What is the spring rate on your coils?

Your truck is doing what they do when they are underdamped. Wallowing at speed.

bilstein 5100 valving front is 255/70 valving rear is 255/70. Coils are 410 ppi stock rear leaf pack.

Did you remove or disconnect your sway bars?

Also, without a drop pitman arm to get the steering geometry correct, you will have issues like that, too.

I need one but having a problem finding one with 1.5 inch drop. My other expo with a 2 inch lift does not have the same problem it has bump steer bad. This one just rocks and sways. With no feel of the issue in the steering at all. One of my friends with a sas is having the same problem he has been told either stiffer shocks or leaf springs should fix it.

. One of my friends with a sas is having the same problem he has been told either stiffer shocks or leaf springs should fix it.

I think MayJan's suggestion about getting a drop arm is really good. I think if you do that alone it might solve it, although with 20+ year old leaf packs you are loosing some stiffness there too.

Back