2002 Explorer rocks side to side real bad! Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer rocks side to side real bad! Help!

Ryan Rives

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a 3” body lift, 3” suspension lift, and 35 in tires. My explorer has started to rock real bad side to side going 65+ after every bump. I have extended beefed up sway bar links front and rear, I replaced my rear struts and that made it go away for about a month, and now it does it again. It is extremely dangerous and I have a road trip coming up in a month! I’m thinking now that I should replace the front struts and see if that fixes it, I really don’t want to be throwing money at it and not solve the problem! Has anyone else had this issue?
F06E873B-EED9-47E0-BA02-AE023090A6BB.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry i cannot help but i like your Explorer

Have you checked all ball joints, control arm bushings and rear toe links? A 3” spacer lift with 35’s is going to beat up all those components. Are you running BTF arms?

It’s not heavy duty enough for those tires. If the rear strut fixed the problem, then it’s going to be something related to those. What brand struts did you use?

It’s not heavy duty enough for those tires. If the rear strut fixed the problem, then it’s going to be something related to those. What brand struts did you use?
Monroe

Have you checked all ball joints, control arm bushings and rear toe links? A 3” spacer lift with 35’s is going to beat up all those components. Are you running BTF arms?
Yes i have and my rear upper ball joint and front outer tie rods are bad, but I don’t think that’s causing the swaying, and No I am not running the BTF Uppers but will be soon!

Yes i have and my rear upper ball joint and front outer tie rods are bad, but I don’t think that’s causing the swaying, and No I am not running the BTF Uppers but will be soon!
You are driving a ticking time bomb. When your tie rod ends fail you will lose control of your vehicle. While you may think you’ll be fine, what about the others on the road? Same goes for ball joints, when that rear ball joint fails your body will drop onto that wheel, locking it up. Rear fishtail is almost impossible to recover from at highway speeds.

You knowingly have critical parts of your suspension failing, stop driving at 65+ MPH on 35’s until you fix things.

Sorry to sound like I’m lecturing you, but think of the others on the road with you, and be safe.

Are you serious? Bad ball joints and bad tie rods? Quit driving that before you kill someone else who actually cares about their safety.

You’ve already got your answers before you came here. Fix your busted ass truck, or keep it off the road.

Might as well buy double replacements. With those tires you’ll be replacing this stuff, and wheel bearings, very often.

Back