Rod Bearings on GM 2.4L Twin Cam

Lifted95X

The Xplorer U Luv to H8
Reaction score
City, State
EASTPOINTE, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.6 Mounty
Merry Xmas to me...a week after having my tranny fixed because I blew a band, my wifes 1996 Grand Am developed a very loud Rod Knock. Just wondering if any of you mechanics can tell me if accessing the lower part of the engine is a PITA or not. Is the oil pan easily removed and the crankshaft and rods and such deciently easy to get at?

The people at GAOC forum have not answered my question yet.

Thx
Shaun

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTT

No help on the 2.4?? More just wondering how much of a PITA it is to get the crank out.

Are you referring to a Quad 4? If so they are a PITA to work on. They use a weird oil pump and are very touchy.

Please elaborate on this if you can. My father plans on ripping it apart on tues to replace the rod bearings. It is the twin cam 2.4L. Some of the Grand Am guys said just replacing the bearings are only a few hour job, I know you are the man, any info you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Shaun

dude...i just friggin founf this thread. remember when i told you on AIM that i blew the engine in my cavalier? well, that was in march....the same thing, rod bearing on my 2.4L. ended up replacing my engine with one form a 2000 grand am. what kind of solution did you come up with?

Back