Msupertek's new Square Tubing Doors. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Msupertek's new Square Tubing Doors.

i think the exo cage on that expo would collapse in a hard roll
doors look good cant wait to see the top :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures of the latch and hinges...

Ok here are the hings. Basically I drilled out the center pivoting pin off the stock explorer and used the half of the hinge that is connected to the body.
I then used the 3/8 rebar and cut a 3 inch section for the pin replacement. I cut a 1 1/2 inch piece of rebar so that the pin looks like an L so that it is easy to remove. On the bottom of the pin I used a small drill bit (a little larger then the cotter pin I used to retain it) to drill a hole approx 1/16 of an inch from the bottom of the pin. I installed a cotter pin to retain the pin. When you want to remove it you just pull the cotter pin out and then pull the L pin out the top. Obviously there are two pins one for top hinge and one for lower hinge.

hinge1.JPG

hinge2.JPG

Then for the latch I used the same L shaped Pin but after inserting into the door, I installed a spring that was just a hair larger then 3/8 inner diameter. I then put a small bead of weld around the bottom of the 3/8 pin to prevent the spring from popping off. I stretched the spring out so that there was no more than 1/4 inch protruding from beneath the bracket when the lever was pulled all the way up so that it would clear the factory striker. Now that you release the lever it snaps shut and will not allow the door to open without you pulling the lever to release the door. Here are the pics. Oh and the springs like these can be found at home depot for a $2 bucks.

hinge4.JPG

hinge5.JPG

hinge6.JPG

hinge7.JPG

Since the two 1 inch square tubing pieces welded together leave about 1/16 of an inch of play in the front hinges the doors latch and unlatch pretty easily.

Very well done. It is great how you used the same material on the latch and on the hinge. Nice

i think the exo cage on that expo would collapse in a hard roll
doors look good cant wait to see the top :)

yep...its being addressed this winter...this was the first year with it..we've found a few "bugs"..but all in all..good cage...and the body backs up the cage support...so either way..its still better than just a stock body..:D

i'm going to have to use your idea for the latch, were did you get the springs?

I got those from work, but I had looked at home depot and found different types of small springs in thier hardware section for less then a dollar and up depending on its size and thickness. Those springs I used came off of some old window regulators from a 2004 F-150. Free is best so I used them instead of purchasing some.:D

Honestly I havnt driven it yet, just on and off my trailer. But today I painted it so tomarrow I'm going to do a few touch ups and then I'll road test it and let you know.

Your rig is pretty sweet, you live in Arlington huh? I go to Lincoln tech and I drive through there everyday, we should go wheeling at 360 and test out your new doors on something other than your trailer;)

- Scott

Funny, I used to teach at Lincoln Tech in 2003. I taught Engine Performance and Basic Electrical. Some of my buddies have been thinking of going back out to 360. That's my old stomping ground, we broke that place in years back. I'll post if I decide to head out.:thumbsup:

Me and some friends are thinking of heading to either Gilmer (barnwell mountain TMTC) or Clayton Oklahoma. I'll post when it gets sooner and you're welcome to join us if you'd like to do some wheeling.

sweet, I have Mr Banks right now for Brakes.
I'm down for gilmer or clayton if i can find a trailer just incase:roll:
me and a few rigs are going to 360 the day before new years eve if you wanna go

Any pics of the new paint job and canvas?

Back