rolled and totaled my explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rolled and totaled my explorer

well this saturday night after supper when it was still daylight i was following a friend in my truck to his cabin, well come to be on the way there, we had to venture across about 5mi of gravel road, and loose gravel, i came to a S-turn where on one side was a pond maybe 2acres big and on the left side a tiny pond maybe 200ft back in from a prarie, going into the S-turn there was some nasty loose gravel and washboards and i lost control, trying to counter-steer out of the slide i over did it, started to slide the opisite direction, counter-steered again too much, this time comming to the last turn in the S-turn and slide right into the ditch nearly sideways w/ my front left tire going in first, my tire bit into the soft wet dirt and threw my veichle into a 3 dimentional roll over having my front left hit first, then smashing my back left, rolled over once and landed on the wheels, engine was still running and i drove out of the ditch and drove to my friends cabin, called my parents and the cops, got a report done, and here i am

i wasnt hurt, i had a friend w/ me, he wasnt hurt, we were wearing our seatbelts, i blacked out after my front left hit, but while rolling i could hear all the coins in my change holder fly all over the place, could see again after we were right side up in the ditch

the insurance company came today and said i rolled it "hard", they said if the veichle wasnt one of substansial weight, the out come would of been much different, and they said it was amazing that we walked away w/o being hurt, and only rolling once, aparently the frame is bent, and if they would repair it the best they could, it would never be like it was stock because of the twist in the frame, so in other words, totaled, i have a couple days to get out of it what i put into it, like xm radio and cell phone stuff....and now pictures

roll1.jpg

roll2.jpg

roll3.jpg

roll4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I don't know a whole lot about visually inspecting a frame but if you cant tell it's bent then i doubt the adjuster would be able to tell with out putting it on a frame machine to check it. As far as i'm concerned thats a light roll... look at some of the other roll pics on the board, it's sometimes hard to tell what you're looking at.

if the adjuster is giving you time to remove stuff from the truck, why dont you just take anything and everything out that might be of some value, ie the engine, seats, radio, dash, etc? and resell them to make some of your loss up?

Originally posted by transmissionguy
I have an odd question, has anyone ever rolled a first gen explorer? I ask cause I wonder how safe they are compared to a 2nd gen with air bags.

Run a search for "jimabena74"...he rolled a '94 a few times.....and drove it after with a Jeep windsheild...

i could drive the truck, i drove it out of the ditch and drove it back home after my accident following my parents

i rolled my truck about 30min before sundown, and im in centeral time

my parents think i should only take out what ive put into it such as my audio equipment and thats it, mom is hoping to get 10k for it, but im thinking we will get no where near that, after talking it over again, they said that there was a body shop guy there w/ the insurance guy, and he said its totaled because it was rolled hard, and everything is out of alinement, none of the doors line up, and if you look at it a ways from behind, you can see the chassy is bent downwards to the left

Insurance company doesn't let you take stuff out that was already there from the factory. The only things you can take out is your aftermarket equipment such as the receiver, lights, etc... BUT you must replace it back with the factory stuff or they will start deducting the value of the car. We've been through it before so just wanna give ya a heads up.

what will i get from the adjuster for the truck, will i get the value of it right now, or it before the accident?

im no scientist at insurances and they go way over my head, how will this all work?

They will check the market value of the car, not Blue book or NADA value. So if you can buy an Explorer for $9,000 in your area, then they will pay you $9,000. If you have extra equipment like aftermarket radio, then they'll add $100 or however much to your value. So...if you want to take your aftermarket stereo out, then they will deduct $100 from the value they agreed to pay.

Dude

Sorry to see that happen to ya. Glad you and your friend turned out Ok. hey, could you e-mail me those pictures to drew@honnoll.com and tell me how fast you were going? I want to show my parents what an Explorer can withstand in a high speed roll over. My dad is so paranoid that I am going to flip mine if I put bigger tires and a lift on it. Sure I stand a better chance of doing that but, from what I have seen that tends to happen either at higher speeds or EXTREME off roading. My dad's biggest concern is my getting hurt. I want to show him how tough those things really are.

Nicaraguense, just tell your dad to have a roll cage installed!!! Then your sure to remain unharmed!

Yeah

I bet they just give those things away too. (¿Would you have to rip out the interior to put one in?) ¿Does anyone have or make one and does anyone have any pics?

There are a few people who have them. Check out Ricks pics. "The Pumpkin"

odxtoxic, sorry for getting of your subject.

I have an odd question, has anyone ever rolled a first gen explorer? I ask cause I wonder how safe they are compared to a 2nd gen with air bags.

I had air bags in my 93, they never went off, go figure.
I slid off the road , through a sign, through a railing, down a steep hill (a lookout) landed going sideways, rolled once, landed on the wheels, And i was fine. walked away. had to climb out where the windows used to be but the roof wasnt caved in, all 5 would have been fine if i had 3 more passengers.

Are you sure?? Explorers didn't have airbags until '95. That's when they put dual airbags. Even that, the airbags won't deploy because there were no sudden deceleration that would the airbag sensors to send a signal to deploy it.

Some people get the impression that just because the vehicle is rather large, airbags arent really require.

hopefull youve kept all the reciepts for aftermarket accesories and mods, because they will most likely require them if you want to be reimburssed for them. They will add the retail value (amount you paid according to reciept) of each of these items to the determined value of the vehicle.
Now im not saying you should be dishonest but you can remove these aftermarket items from the car before the insurance company sells it to a junkyard. As long as there is something still in the vehicle which could resemble those aftermarket items (ex. toss the stock headunit on the front seat) there will be no problem. Dont get too carried away because the junkyard is expecting these items to be there when they get the vehicle.

When i totalled my pathfinder a few months ago my insurance company paid for it. Even thou i had no collision it was the other guys fault (in jersey there is "no-fault" insurance meaning my company had to pay for it not his), he pulled straight across a busy 4 lane road without looking, trying to go from one gas station across to the other. Of course it happened to be just as i was coming down the stretch, so i T-boned him going 55mph. Everyone in the dumbass' car went to the hospital, including his wife, who needed to be removed from the car with jaws of life cause it was her door it hit directly, and three young children. They all survived. Me and my two friends were fine, even though the kid in the passenger seat shattered the windshield with his head, and the kid in the back got smashed by the subs, which tore down the back seats, and caused him to fly into the front seat and knock it off the hinges. None of the airbags were deployed
I loved my truck so this deppressed me for days.
I thought id get screwed on the insurance and lose all my money (i had the truck for like 3 weeks)

Well anyway i sent them about 1200$ in reciepts for the mods i made, kept about 500$ worth of the stuff(amp, headunit, other small things like neons and floor mats,(i left the subs so they wouldnt get suspicous(the box was smashed in anyway))) and got a total check for 11,000 something dollars (even though the truck only cost me 6,000 plus the 1,200 in mods). Then i went out and bought my X!!

So the moral of the story is totalling cars can have happy endings, especially when insurance helps you out.

I know how upsetting it can be to lose something u love, and that cost you alot of cash. But hopefully you can make the best of the situation.

Wish you luck!
Sean

I dont think he has too much modified stuff in it. Ive ridden in it a few times and the only things he had added to it was his XM radio and his cell phone stuff. Its a very nice vehicle. Too bad it was rolled :\

Nicaraguense.....the explorer faired very very well in the roll over, the body shop guy said that i rolled it "hard", and that if i would of had a veichle of any lesser weight and structure i might of ended up dead because of how it happened, i skidded into the ditch, and when my front tire went down it literly "threw" the truck, which is when i think the chassy got bent, my front left corner came down and it all went from there, from the inside of the explorer there are NO signs of the roll over what so ever, besides the shattered windshield, so if your wearing your seatbelt, i would recomend the explorer for its roll cage strenth, and all out being a awsome veichle to own

and may i say that in the way my truck went into the ditch ANY veichle would have flipped, where i flipped my truck there have been over the years nearly 10 accidents, and about this time last year a friend of mine rolled and totaled his car, just shows you how bad this turn is

i want to get these 10 ppl together and try to see if the city will put guard rails on this road, but because its gravel i doubt they will....

Im pretty sure that first gen have airbags, they may not have dual side airbags, but more than likely they had driver side airbag. It'd be really odd to find a car in the 90's without at least one airbag....

the 91-94 explorers have no airbag.

:chug: :chug:

Back