• Register Today It's free!

Roof Question

Blake D

Reaction score
City, State
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have a 94 XLT. In the roof there are tiny hairline cracks that run front toward back. They start at the front glass and go back about 8- 10 inches. They are in int first guttering area of driver and passenger side. They are also in the back, same guttering area but not nearly as long. When we get heavy rain the inside headliner is a little wet, I tried to seal it up on the exterior with some clear ****ing and it worked for about 9 months or so. I don't know if it is worth worring about or just let it be. I thought about pulling down the headliner and ****ing the interior but I don't know if that is a good step or not. Grandfather is a welder but that is thin metal and difficult to do not to mention it would fry the paint on top. Mabye some stuff from a supply srote that you can smear on and then it hardens up would work.
I would like to eventually put a roof rack on for when we go on vacations, and mabye a safarri rack and some lights, dunno?! But I know this needs some attention.
Thanks
Blake
(sorry for the long message but I wanted to be detailed)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

help!

please don't let me fall off the page with no replies other than my own!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

please some-one tell me anything!!! I don't care if it sounds dumb or whatever ,just please some opinions:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

dunno, had a friend that had a '74 Dart that the body seams were always cracking the bondo that covered them.

i dont know maybee you could get some good / flexible epoxy or something and put that on the inside

then if you have that little kit ford gives you to fix scratches you can use it to seal the metal from rust

good luck

I gave my 95 Ex a good cleaning this past weekend and noticed the cracks on the roof as well. They are small thin cracks in the paint not in the metal, I don't think. Mine also leaks on the head liner as well. Do you have a sunroof? I have had this problem for awhile now and just thought it was the sun roof leaking. My windshield seal had come loose and I used a sealent made by the GOOP company. You might want to try this sealant they make it for glass, metal wood ect ect ect. It is a clear sealant and holds up well. You can buy it at home depot for about 3 dollars. Another option could be touch up paint to seal the cracks. True this is a ghetto way to do it but it's on the roof and would prob look better then the caulk.

you are not alone.... My '99 has the cracks in the paint too. Wish I had noticed before the truck was out of warranty...... Coulda got a whole new paintjob. So far, no leaks that I know of (wood :hammer: )

If you go with caulking it make sure that it is 100% silicone not water-resistant

I got some JB weld from O' Rileys. I am going to try to get the headliner out so I can do the repare. I bought a 50 torqs star for the seatbelt shoulder strap locations, any suggestions before I get started , like where can I get more plastic push snaps?
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Back