• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack Removal 91 XLT

jfrank

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Maria, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT, '92 EB, 93 XLT
Got to repaint the 91 Explorer which spends all it's days outside at Mammoth Lakes. it got banged bad in a rock storm and the clear coating is peeling.

Could shoot it myself but probably will have someone Like Macco do it. However I would do the trim removal and masking.

How easy is it to remove the roof rack and then reinstall it after painting is complete?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've read the roof rack is almost welded on, the screws have threadlocker on them and you need a big screwdriver and a pair of vicegrips to get any leverage to turn them loose.

the strips in the center are just riveted on so a drill can take care of that.

ROCK storm???

"Rock Storm"

The winds can get blowing pretty good on the eastern slopes of the Sierras. A couple of years ago the conditions were just right for some real nasty winds to come out of the mountain pass at Convict Lake and whip across the Mammoth airport. The winds were so strong that small rocks (not pebbles) were being lifted off the ground and hurtled around the parking lots. Every car parked at the airport had extensive damage, my XLT had all but one window knocked out and some dents.

How strong the winds got that night nobody really knows. The wind speed indicator at the airport last reading was 114 mph before it was blown off the building.

I can't think of anything that describes that night better than "Rock Storm"

yikes. that is interesting

Back