Roof rack | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof rack

If you are looking for crossbars to build from look at this review I posted a few weeks ago

http://www.explorerforum.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/312/limit/recent

after a few hunting trips I am very pleased with the performance of these lowcost bars. The real test will be in the spring when I start doing fishing trips again with the canoe.

I saw your writeup. You said they hold 165 lbs, but the website says they're rated for 130. Even though they fit the Thule accessories, their don't appear to be locks for these to lock the clamps to the side rails. They are a tad narrow at 49-1/4" (my Thule bars are 50" and they barely fit.) Other than that, they look like a good alternative for crossbars.

Check it out...

The light guys know, but I can't get a visual on that... I see stealth lighting in the bar (front and rear) just to keep it from view, and so people say, "Oh s#it! Check that out!" Not predictable, they didn't see it coming... But you have to be comfy in your own vehicle, do what you need to... :)

Thanks for the pics Brian. You must have a wider Yakima basket then mine. I guess they make a couple sizes, mine has to use the crossbars because it sits betwen the rails.

Chad

I saw your writeup. You said they hold 165 lbs, but the website says they're rated for 130. Even though they fit the Thule accessories, their don't appear to be locks for these to lock the clamps to the side rails. They are a tad narrow at 49-1/4" (my Thule bars are 50" and they barely fit.) Other than that, they look like a good alternative for crossbars.

The bars are made by proline, the paperwork say 165, the web says 130, and other sites say 150, who knows :dunno: but I do know they seem as strong as my old thule bars were. You are correct about the locks and the width, for me I didn't need the locks.

you may want to look at this site they have other alternatives at a great price, it was my second ordering choice.

http://www.a1-autoracks.com/roof-rack-railing-crossbars.html

Back