rough idle, shut off engine ... where is the problem ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rough idle, shut off engine ... where is the problem ???

PROTEUS

Reaction score
City, State
El Salvador, America Central
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 91 XL
I'm having a disagreeable problem with the next symptoms:

* When the motor is cold, the Exp runs normal.

* When the motor is hot, especially in a traffic jam, the Exp start to run roughly, "RUMM rumm RUMM rumm", I feel the Exp increasing to jump, and after a pair minutes the engine shut off.

* The problem is more noticeable when I turn on the air conditioned.

* I avoid to shut off the engine by shifting the trans to Neutral (It was in OD). With this, the "RUMM rumm" is reduced, but it is still there.

I have made a search in this forum but the problems I have found not match exactly, but I'm thinking the problem is the IAC or a bad spark plug.

Do you have any comments or a suggestion about any bad component that help me to diagnose and find the problem ?

Thanks for your replies!!
:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I concur with your hypotheses, most likely IAC.

i agree wit the iac but also check for vaccum leaks first

Uh, I'll take care with the vacuum lines ...but anyway, I'll get a new IAC, maybe.

did you just get a new airfilter, my engine was fine until i got my k&n. then it started to shut off when it got hot at redlights (it seemed like the truck didnt want my to leave that light), even at idle in nuetral or in first some times even wheni pressed the clutch in and the RPMs dropped. is my problem like that or completely different.

It isn´t the same problem since I haven´t changed the air filter, it is still the stock air box.

Maybe, you didn´t reset the computer, therefore it can´t get the new reading from the MAF (just my opinion, someone who has changed the air filter can help you).

I´ll change the IAC, clean the MAF, checks other things when my Exp complete its renewed paint. I hope it help it.

:)

I've had the same problem with mine before...i cleaned up the IAC valve and it runs beautifully....here's the thread i used....Dead Link Removed ...laterz

adam

If you are getting a check engine light (and sometimes not) it might be your O2 sensor going bad.

Back