Engine Diesels After Shutting Off / Fuel Pump Runs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Diesels After Shutting Off / Fuel Pump Runs

Ken_Hayes

Reaction score
City, State
Sharpsburg, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Sport
Ok, I have a 92 Sport with 202K on the clock. Runs pretty good. slight bump at idle, but been that way for over a year now.

My problem is that the truck runs on after I switch the key off. I also hear the fuel pump continue to run while it is dieseling. I shut it on, engine runs, shut it off, engine diesels. After about four or five times on and off, it will quit.

When it doesn't run on, you can hear the fuel pump turn on after you get out and close the door. It will run about 5 seconds and shut off.

Any ideas? Even though this thing has required more maintenance than any of my Chevrolets, I love my Ford. I would like to get another 100K out of her.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, if you can still hear your fuel pump running, then it sounds like the relay might be sticking(is that possible?). Other than that i have no idea. Sounds like it might be an ignition problem also.

Like IAm Todd said, I'd check out the fuel pump relay first. Also check the fuel pump for excessive current draw if you want.

fuel pump relay.

THANKS

Thanks Guys! I did a test today. When it was dieseling, I tapped the distribution box. It quit dieseling. I was able to do this twice. I'll pick up a relay at the parts store tomorrow.

Once again,

Thanks!

Glad to hear my uneducated guess helped!! I am quite suprised that was it, but hey, anything is possible i guess!!

Hheh. Just admit it, IAmTodd, you are good. It's ok to not be humble once in a while. :)

BTW, my truck has been named "The Green Dragon" by one of my friends,....similar to The Green Phantom...
I kind of like The Green Dragon so it stays...

Yea, I was sitting on top of my dad's work truck and it just kinda hit me, Phantom, green, The Green Phantom. So thats its official name I guess. I normally just call it the explorer b/c "The X" has been shot down b/c my friends used it to much. So thats that. But I'm glad you got your problem fixed Ken, Those thing can be a pain in the butt to figure out!

Back