• Register Today It's free!

rough idle/stalling

m8r8j

Reaction score
City, State
ipswich, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xls, 4.0
my car has a rough idle, and a stalling problem on cold starts when i put it in gear... i thoroughly cleaned the MAF and IAC and this took care of my rough idle problem for the most part, but the stalling is still there. the only maintenance i havent done on this thing is the plug wires. do you guys think i should try replacing the plugs and wires first or the IAC first??? or do you have another idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

this just happened

this just happened to me... i stalled at a red light last night. no biggie since it started back up. i notice some surging. the idle would drop to 450/500 and would surge up to 700/800. I could hear something clicking along with the surge.

In my case, I'm going to look for a vacuum leak first then check out the IAC.

Anyone know how to bench test a IAC?

cleaned my iac again today more thoroughly, but im going to try plugs+plug wires since the rough idle is still there... if that doesnt work, ill try replacing the IAC

In addition to suspecting the IAC, it may be a vacuum leak somewhere. I would check the PCV and EVAP hoses/system. The EGR value stuck open could also be a cause.

Rumple

cleaned my iac again today more thoroughly, but im going to try plugs+plug wires since the rough idle is still there... if that doesnt work, ill try replacing the IAC

Back