Rough idle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle

all4ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer
I have a problem I have not been able to track down. My 95 Explorer 245 x 4.0 EFI has a miss to it. I do not get a CEL. When the engine is started, it runs rough, idling up and down. If I shut it off cold, I have to hold the excelerator down to get it to restart again. While driving , you can feel a miss or jerking. WHat else could cause the rough irratic idle?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would bet it has to do with the IAC valve sticking, might want to try cleaning it. Do a search for IAC cleaning, there are a bunch of threads on it. I had a similar problem, mine would idle weired and when you kicked the a/c compressor on it would idle even worse. Then it would also hesitate and you would have to floor it to get it to come back, also smelled like unburnt gas, running very rich. I cleaned the IAC an all my problems went away. I did however have to replace two O2 sensors later down the road from a checkengine light. If it was me id try cleaning the IAC.

Scan for codes. Even though the CEL isn't lit, there still may be codes in there.

My friends OHV was missing, and it was so simple that the injectors were cloged.. try running some injector cleaner or seafoam through the gas tank.

Back