• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle

wyo82633

Reaction score
City, State
Douglas,Wy
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
My 98 explorer 5.0 is running rough and cant figure it out. It idles were it should its just shakes pretty bad. When you put it in gear the rpms drop under 500 and wants to die. When its in gear it wont go over 2000rpms with the pedal to the floor. If some one can help out that would be awesome, cause im at my whit's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well first do you have any scan tools or any diagnostic equipment by chance or know someone that does?

I am going to presume from your post that probably you don't?

Any check engine lights and/or codes?

I forgot to add that their are no codes that show up. I tried two different scan tools and nothing.

I had that on a dodge pickup and the "stone" had broken in the cat and clogged it up. But I knew the cat was shot because it rattled like hell before it finally broke up. Lol.

What are you O2 readings for both banks and front and rear?

What are your STFT and LTFT?

Check plug wires I had 2 bad ones that was causing a miss and no codes, also coils can do it and tps, maf, and cam sensor.

Would it matter if the PCM came out of a vehicle with a three pin cam sensor that got put in one with a two pin cam sensor?

Would it matter if the PCM came out of a vehicle with a three pin cam sensor that got put in one with a two pin cam sensor?

Erh....I'm assuming it ran fine before you did this? And it has idled like crap ever since?

Yep it just dawned on me. I was having other issues with it and found what my initial problem was that started the whole mess.

That would do it

Back