Rough idling, vibration when accelerating in high gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idling, vibration when accelerating in high gear

Dolphins39

Reaction score
City, State
Davie, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
My explorer is idling rough (rpms are around 600-700), and when it shifts into high gear (automatic transmission) there is a clicking sound when I try to accelerate and it vibrates roughly. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first thing I would do is check and see if there are any error codes in your Explorer's computer control system. There are posts on this site from what I have seen others say that tell you how to pull these codes without a code scanner. I bought and use a tool called a Code Scanner by Actron. It plugs into the maintenance port in 80s and 90s cars and trucks and with a few easy instructions displays the codes in LED blinks and audible beeps.

Once you check to see if the Explorer is telling you something is wrong with it or not you will need to go from there.

The clicking (and everybody seems to describe it in different ways) sounds like it could be "Pinging" from the truck not changing it's timing under acceleration. You need to check for trouble codes first before you can make any assumptions.

I haven't had a chance to check the error codes yet, but when I drove it last night I only put it in drive (not overdrive) and it road fine. Granted, it still didn't idle well.

It not idling right might be related to your problem.

When in *overdrive* did the engine make the noise UNTIL it downshifted into drive, or did it even downshift into drive? If you stepped on the gas hard and the truck accelerated pretty hard (like when passing, it should shift down to drive AND possibly to 2nd depending upon how hard you depressed the pedal).

When you have the truck in drive you remove the overdrive to drive downshift from the picture.

When in *drive* and you stepped down on the accelerator did the transmission downshift into 2nd?

It sounds like pinging or pre-ignition to me, but see if you can pull codes to see if you have any electronic parts that might be starting to give you trouble.

If you don't want to pull codes the way they say you can on this site the Actron Code Scanners (like the little cheap-o [as some call it] unit I have are available at some parts stores AND Napa Online. I got mine at Wal-Mart many many years ago.

If you don't want to buy a code scanner and you live near a Advanced Auto Parts, go there. AAP will check your Explorer's codes for free. ALSO, my 2000 explorer sport SOHC has a slight but noticeable vibration right before the torque converter unlocks(right before it downshifts) like accelaration up a hill. If i let off the gas before it would downshift it is smooth again. I only niticed this in overdrive, but not i suspect it is in other gears. This is the second transmission in my explorer, i made the dealer replace the 1st. There is also some -slight- shuttering of the torque converter at low rpm's when it's locked. Does anyone know what I should do? Anything to try? Thanks for the help!

Back