• Register Today It's free!

Rough Shifts??????

sledneck9

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
How many of you with 02 V8 explorer or mountaineers are experiencing rough shifts after going up a hill? possible cause?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

never noticed.....will keep a feel for it now

Although I have the V6 we have the same tranny. When mine shifts into third going up a hill on the freeway it shifts hard and feels and sounds like something is loose. Rarely, just going straight when downshifting it will do it as well. Is this the same as you experience?

sounds similar. wish i knew what it was. just let me know if it could be the tranny filter?????

yes, hard shifts- especially downshifts- going up hills and sometimes when towing. no problems on flatlands. hope you find out what the problem is.

Replaced your solenoid pack yet?

no, it hasn't done it for a while until tonight and it was only once. Where is the solenoid pack by the way and how difficult and time intensive is it?

how much is it to get the solenids replaced?? heard that could be the cause

TSB /reprogram

Now mine was a little different, I had hard upshifts during light to med throttle. I took it to the dealer and had them flash my PCM. As per TSB, 02-6-2. Now the tsb for your concern may be different. try doing a TSB search. It made my tranny shift like new @ 130,000 miles! :eek: It cost 140.00 to get it done but well worth it to me. Like I said the tranny shifts like a dream now! Good Luck to all!

Welcome to the wonderful world of explorers!
haha.

My neighbor had some tranny problem in his 02 or 03 exploder(v6).
Once he got it fixed, the problem went away, then 2 years later he got a front axel problem or something......and just ended up trading the truck in!

I think the problem was fixed in 03 or 04...cant remember.

I get little weird rough shifts in my 04 v8 mountaineer sometimes....
I got 'em for a while when I got the BFG M/T's installed......it would just JERK real hard going from 2nd to 3rd gear.....up hills was worse.

Then after I put a couple hundred miles on the tires, the jerking stopped.
(according to the manual, when you upgrade tires, the tranny has to adjust shift points and shift firmness on its own...basically it LEARNS and adjusts.)

The explorers are notorious for that problem....they just have faulty designs, but could also be from hard driving or bad shifting.

But my dads Chevy Silverado is WORSE, that thing sounds HORRIBLE when you put it into Drive.
And it CLUNKS hard in random gears.
He recently had his transfer case rebuilt, because it caused his truck to grind and wouldnt go over 40mph!

God I HATE chevys.......bought one once, NEVER EVER going back.

Just look at it that way! It could be ALOT worse...you could own a Chevy! lol

As was mentioned above, this tranny along with most modern electronic trannies have an adaptive learning capability. They'll learn how you drive your vehicle, and base the shift strategies accordingly. If you baby it, it'll learn a smooth soft shift, but if you're working it harder, it learns a more firm quick gearshift.
You can lots of times experience this as it re-learns after a battery disconnect...It takes some time and can shift a little wierd till it figures out how you're driving it.

When I pulled a car dolly loaded with a car on it, my tranny firmed up nicely (almost too firm once I was unloaded!), and stayed nice for quite some time. More city driving and light throttle openings have since made it soften up a bit, but once in a while, a good hard flogging on a backcountry road will get it back to the way I like it again.

The answer may be that simple...Hills require more load on the drivetrain than flat roads, and the vehicle may have just learned a little harder shift strategy because of it.

Back