Routine maintenance question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Routine maintenance question

Reaction score
City, State
Carthage, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Mine is the 2002 Explorer with the V8 engine. I having no problems and it now has 185K miles on it. I am planning to flush and change the coolant. Everything (parts) relating to the cooling system and HVAC is original on this Explorer.

I would appreciate your advice on whether I should change the radiator hoses and/or heater hoses as preventative maintenance or not. There are 6 of the molded type heater hoses this engine, only 2 are available as aftermarket parts, the others are only available as Motorcraft brand or replaceable using bulk hose.

Do you think I should only change the coolant and just wait for hoses to burst? Or change now before they burst? What about changing the things like the thermostat and water pump?

Thanks for any suggestions,
retiredexplorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would at the very least replace the upper and lower radiator hoses. Also, check the hose clamps and make sure they are doing their job.

Question -- does it have the factory intake manifold, or has the manifold been replaced? When I went to do preventive maintenance and change my thermostat, just loosening the bolts broke the thermostat housing - I was then forced to replace the intake manifold. Another problem, the gasket behind the oil filter housing is known to go bad, replace it. And as long as I was doing that work, I replaced the upper and lower radiator hose. Also, check the sticky here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287097

I did not change the water pump, figured it could wait until it 'complains'.

fordysenior, Thanks for the comments. It does have the factory intake manifold. Hope this creates no problems.

Is it the factory intake with the aluminum cross over? My explorer is an early build explorer but it does have the new and updated intake.

Is it the factory intake with the aluminum cross over? My explorer is an early build explorer but it does have the new and updated intake.

Mine has a build date of 04/01. I can't identify which intake it has. What is the difference between the first and the updated?

Back