RPM Fluctuation

Iamcndn04

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Hey I have a 2007 Explorer V6, 4x4 XLT

Recently I have had an issue that seems completely random, after accelerating after being stopped the RPM will fluctuate dramatically when trying to change gears (primarily out of 1st). This RPM change will fluctuate from about 1700-2200rpm. I have tried to reproduce the problem on purpose, but it still seems to only do this at random times.

I doubt it is road conditions as this has happened in Winter on Snowy roads as well as in Summer on dry pavement.

The only way I have been able to stop it from doing it while its happening is to accelerate harder to push it into the next gear.

Is this an engine issue or a transmission issue? Has happened in both 4x2 and 4x4.

Thought? Solutions? Ideas?

Thanks

Is the AC on when this happens? Even if not, I would check the connector on the transmission to verify that the AC condensate drain is not dripping down on it and corroding the connector. Just as a maintenance precaution, I would also clean the MAF sensor and throttle body.

The compressor stopped working about a year ago, so it wouldn't be that, I'll take it into a shop to have it hooked up then I suppose. If the sensor is going would it not set off a dash light?

I didn't say that it was the compressor, I indicated that the drain from the cabin hvac system empties over the tranny bell housing and can run down onto the trannny connector. In some cases it may give codes and in other cases it doesn't (in these situations it is considered a pending code so no light is shown on the dash), just something you could check yourself instead of paying a shop to verify it for you.

Back