• Register Today It's free!

RPM Meter (Tach) wiring question

762mm

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT (4x4, SOHC)
For some time now I have had my RPM meter go almost completely "kaput" - it works very erratically, and doesn't show the right RPMs most of the time. So, today I went out and bought a "Sunpro Super Tach II" external RPM meter ($50 - supposedly a very good meter), and want to install it this weekend (I need it, because I think my transmission is shifting weird nowdays, and I believe it's still on warranty after a recent rebuild).

Anyway, the tach wiring is pretty straight forward, except for the "green" tach wire - it says that on my explorer I have to solder it to the "Powertrain Control Module on the firewall" to a "tan/yellow stripe wire". Can someone point me in the right direction for this? I checked my Ignition Coil connector wires, and I can see two (visible) tan wires - one with a green stripe, the other with an orange stripe - no yellow. Plus I would much rather prefer to connect it somewhere inside the truck rather than to drill/pierce through the firewall, I figure there must be a location inside/under the dash where I can accomplish the same thing...? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I checked with Ford, and if your stock RPM gauge fails, it is non-serviceable - You basically need to order the whole new instrument cluster (speedometer, RPM, fuel, etc) and they will need to attest and adjust your mileage on the new cluster - the whole procedure is $500+ if you want it done... and that's through a guy I know who works there, and gets a discount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replied to your PM, thanks. I still would like to know where would be the best place to find the tan w/yellow stripe wire though to connect the tach, the gauge looks kind of cool up on the pillar, lol! :)

Probably directly from the pcm harness---near the large firewall plug.

Look along your kick panel--you should find a rubber grommet with cables or wires running thru firewall--just poke that wire thru there--

I might be wrong, but you may have other issues that will prevent this from working.

If you don't mind pulling the gauge cluster on one of the wire connectors in the back of the cluster you will find the tan/w yellow wire

re

my tach is erratic or dead half the time. 2 years or so now. I looked into the after market ones. i found online, the Equus brand has this inductive clamp that can go on a spark plug wire, much like the old timing lights. Not sure if this is a good product, but I may give it a try.

Attachments

• 6000_series.jpg
    6000_series.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 5,540

I have no experience with that tach but you will still have to drill a hole in your firewall to hook it up like that. Your diagram shows a hard wire option also which you could do behind the instrument cluster.

Back