Aftermarket stereo install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket stereo install

jm.ray91

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I'm trying to install and aftermarket stereo into my 97 mounty and when I bought it wires were all cut for stereo. Really confused on how to hook up my stereo cause colors of wires do not match at all.
First harness
Tan wire
White with red stripe
White with orange stripe
Purple with blue stripe
Orange with black stripe
Brown
Yellow
Grey
Blue with black stripe
Green
Black
Purple
Purple with white stripe
Light blue
Green with red stripe

Second harness
Yellow
Black
Blue
Green with black stripe
2light blue with red stripe
Green with purple stripe
Black with green stripe
Unsure what colors match up to car has a factory amp in rear quarter panel and rear seat audio

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So is it the the factory harness in the dash that's hacked up, or the one that came with your aftermarket head unit?

It's the factory harness that is hacked up. I could see where it had two harnesses to begin with I just don't know how to splice an aftermarket harness into it

I'd go the junkyard and grab a factory harness and hook it up where yours should be. Then grab a wiring harness for your vehicle online or at a car audio store, it will allow you to plug your new head unit directly into the factory harness. It is color coded and comes with directions for connecting it to your head unit.
This is how I do it anyway, it makes things easier when installing the new head unit, or if you upgrade again down the road, or if you return the stereo to stock for any reason.

Dont know which radio you have, but here's the wiring for a 97 Mountaineer
AM/FM CD. Wires dont seem to matching the colors of yours. Let me know which radio was in the truck and maybe I can do better.

Might also want to ask this question in the Explorer Audio & Navigation Section

1.gif

2-1.gif

It had the premium sound with rear controls and factory amp minus the jbl system and subwoofer

I just realized that you must be talking about the wires coming from the aftermarket stereo. Can’t help you with that, but here are the rest of the wiring diagrams for your sound system in the truck.

6.gif

5.gif

4.gif

7.gif

3.gif

Back