Rpm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rpm

dora51032

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Explorer 3.5 FWD XLT
Has someone experience their rpm kick when approaching to full stop? Mine was doing this often now. What happen is when I’m approaching to let say stop light with my foot on the brake the rpm goes down to normal idle then suddenly will kick/rev until 1k rpm (with my foot on the brake) then settle down back to normal 650 rpm. I’ve tried to clean the TB by spraying carb cleaner and reboot the system several times by disconnecting the negative battery by at least 10 mins but no luck.

Any idea or comment will sure appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Engine brake around 37mph-38mph?

Sounds cool...maybe people will think you swapped in a 6sp manual.

j/k, have the dealers look at it.

I would try to manually downshift using the paddles (or buttons) and see if I can recreate the problem at will.

Has someone experience their rpm kick when approaching to full stop? Mine was doing this often now. What happen is when I’m approaching to let say stop light with my foot on the brake the rpm goes down to normal idle then suddenly will kick/rev until 1k rpm (with my foot on the brake) then settle down back to normal 650 rpm. I’ve tried to clean the TB by spraying carb cleaner and reboot the system several times by disconnecting the negative battery by at least 10 mins but no luck.

Any idea or comment will sure appreciated
As 613GT500 mentioned, the engine downshifts at a certain speed when slowing down, with or without your foot on the brake. That 'shift' would be reflected in the RPMs.

Peter

What I believe happens is the Explorer cuts off fuel when you're braking, because you can use the mechanical energy from the drivetrain to power the engine at that time. When you hit a low speed, the car probably is shifting into 1st and firing back up. I always hear a slight rev when I slow down from a decently high speed to 0 MPH. Just a theory but it could be what you're experiencing.

As 613GT500 mentioned, the engine downshifts at a certain speed when slowing down, with or without your foot on the brake. That 'shift' would be reflected in the RPMs.

Peter

the rpm goes down normal when approaching to any stop. i know and i feel the down shift is normal but im talking about nearly to full stop (maybe 5 tire rotation to full stop) the rpm goes normal until 650 then from there the rpm suddenly rev 800- 900 sometimes until 1k then back to normal idle again. I've tried also on Manual mode, same behavior.

i'll try to take video when i see safe.

the rpm goes down normal when approaching to any stop. i know and i feel the down shift is normal but im talking about nearly to full stop (maybe 5 tire rotation to full stop) the rpm goes normal until 650 then from there the rpm suddenly rev 800- 900 sometimes until 1k then back to normal idle again. I've tried also on Manual mode, same behavior.

Okay, thanks for the further explanation. That doesn't sound normal. I wonder if it has anything to do with the throttle body? Have you tried putting it in Park and then bringing the revs up a bit and then letting off the gas to see if you get the same little 'kick' in the RPM as they go back to idle?

Peter

I have been monitoring my RPMs more closely now and noticed something very similar to what you described.
Almost as if there's another downshift right before the vehcile comes to a complete stop.

I'm guessing the EX performs multiple engine brakes...and of course no documentation or literature to refer to:eek:

I have been monitoring my RPMs more closely now and noticed something very similar to what you described.
Almost as if there's another downshift right before the vehcile comes to a complete stop.

I'm guessing the EX performs multiple engine brakes...and of course no documentation or literature to refer to:eek:
I've not noticed this but then haven't looked for it either. Although mine is not an Explorer, I'll try to remember to check it out. Thanks.

Peter

Okay, thanks for the further explanation. That doesn't sound normal. I wonder if it has anything to do with the throttle body? Have you tried putting it in Park and then bringing the revs up a bit and then letting off the gas to see if you get the same little 'kick' in the RPM as they go back to idle?

Peter
i've tried what you mentioned and even tried revving with my left foot on the brake but it seems normal, no pulse after seating on normal idle. i'm thinking the same that its related to TB but cleaning it with TB cleaner didnt help at all.

:eek: so this is normal... this is not right :scratch:

:eek: so this is normal... this is not right :scratch:

While engine braking is normal, the question here is how many times?
I know with 100% certainty when decreasing speed and hitting 38mph, there's one definite occurance of engine braking.

I will continue to monitor the RPM and count for them, but the "jerk" is very subtle; but agree that the RPM does jump.

can anyone confirm that their EX also doing the above behavior?

can anyone confirm that their EX also doing the above behavior?
Although I don't have the Explorer, the RPM needle on my MKT did indicate an ever so subtle jump as I came to a stop.

Peter

Although I don't have the Explorer, the RPM needle on my MKT did indicate an ever so subtle jump as I came to a stop.

Peter

Wonder if it's downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear at that point. This transmission seems to hold higher gears for quite some time when slowing down and might wait till the last second to shift into 1st.

BTW, this is the first automatic vehicle I've owned in over 10 years, so might just be the nature of autos these days.

Back