Tachometer RPM does not return to idle when put in neutral at 60 mph 2016 explorer xlt v6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tachometer RPM does not return to idle when put in neutral at 60 mph 2016 explorer xlt v6

doutlaw981

Reaction score
City, State
clermont, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
OK all of you mechanics/engineers - here's the issue.

I have a long downhill grade before my turn off on a major highway. Approaching turn off I put 2016 Explorer xlt v6 auto transmission in neutral at 60 mph to coast.

RPM showed approx 2200 rpm at 60 mph and in 6 gear, it stayed same when put in neutral.

RPM stays at 2200 and does not return to idle of 750 rpm when in neutral and 60 mph.

As I slow down the rpm reduces at the same rate as if it was in gear, but it is in neutral. When I come to a full stop rpm will be at 750.

All right you engineer/mechanic why does this occur????

Thanking you in advance..

"a long downhill grade before my turn off on a major highway". In Florida.. ?? Where is this ? Maybe next time I go to Fla I'll check it out.. Friend of mines uncle (RIP uncle Bill) who was a WW 2 AF pilot kept an altimeter on the handle bars of his Gold Wing as a joke in Fla. And... I have to ask why do you put your trans in neutral at 60 mph to coast ?

OK all of you mechanics/engineers - here's the issue.

I have a long downhill grade before my turn off on a major highway. Approaching turn off I put 2016 Explorer xlt v6 auto transmission in neutral at 60 mph to coast.

RMP showed approx 2200 rpm at 60 mph and in 6 gear, it stayed same when put in neutral.

RMP stays at 2200 and does not return to idle of 750 rpm when in neutral and 60 mph.

As I slow down the rpm reduces at the same rate as if it was in gear, but it is in neutral. When I come to a full stop rpm will be at 750.

All right you engineer/mechanic why does this occur????

Thanking you in advance..
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back