Rubbing Noise When Turning Deep Left | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rubbing Noise When Turning Deep Left

hillre51

Reaction score
City, State
vine grove, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer eddie bauer
Hello, back again. I've a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 115K. Just replaced stabilizer links on Explorer now seem to be hearing a rubbing noise, (sounds like something is rubbing) when making a deep left. Have any of you had this issue after changing your stabilizer links?

Should a front end alignment be done after installing stabilizer links? I didn't think so but need to make sure. I pulled the wheels off due to thinking it was the brake backing plate rubbing against the rotor. The right side plate seemed to be rubbing but I'm still hearing the noise when turning or making a deep left turn but doesn't seem to do it always.

Need to make sure no additional damage is made. Please assist if you know what could be the problem. would really appreciate it.

Research on the internet thus far revealed that it could be a bent or damaged stabilizer bar. However, I wasn't hearing a rubbing type noise prior to changing the stabilizer links/bushings.

Thanks, have a great evening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting the same rub when I turn full lock on mine too. My end links are fairly new so I know theyre not bad. But I noticed the the sway bar is actually rubbing on my tie rods. The only way I was able to tell was that I painted my sway bar since it was kinda flaking off in one little spot and checked it a couple days later and noticed the pain was rubbing off on to the tie rod. The only thing I can think of to fix it is to get longer sway bar end links, for my issue. Might be different on yours, but can give you something to look at.

Make sure the steering stops are greased. Dry metal grinding at full lock sounds horrible when the tires are rolling. :eek:

steeringstops.jpg

Alright, thanks, I will check it out. I'm assuming it's an alignment problem otherwise. very strange it would only do it while turning or making a deep left. I would think the new stabilizer links are the same as the ones that I remove. suppose I should measure them or just do a side by side comparison. I plan to jack mine up and have the wife turn the wheels left and right to observe.

I'm getting the same rub when I turn full lock on mine too. My end links are fairly new so I know theyre not bad. But I noticed the the sway bar is actually rubbing on my tie rods. The only way I was able to tell was that I painted my sway bar since it was kinda flaking off in one little spot and checked it a couple days later and noticed the pain was rubbing off on to the tie rod. The only thing I can think of to fix it is to get longer sway bar end links, for my issue. Might be different on yours, but can give you something to look at.

Steering Stops? never heard of but will look for them. very odd it wasn't doing it before I change the stabilizer links.

Make sure the steering stops are greased. Dry metal grinding at full lock sounds horrible when the tires are rolling. :eek:

steeringstops.jpg

Back