Run 3.5L V6 on 5w20 for higher Miles ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Run 3.5L V6 on 5w20 for higher Miles ?

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
When I bought my 2012 Explorer with the 3.5 V6 I committed to driving this for at least 7 years, I use my truck for work and I put a lot of miles on it in a year. After just over 2 yeas I have 99k kilometres on it. If I run it for 7 years (assuming it doesn't croak) I will have about 320k kilometres if all goes well.

Would you guys run 5w20 motor oil the entire distance ?, or possibly change to 5w30 after it gets up there in the higher mileage range ?. I'm not too concerned about the extra fuel economy, but I need the engine to last as long as possible. I know many Ford engines have run well with 5w20 and it hasn't been the end of the world like many old schoolers thought it would be.

Interested in any opinions on this, thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always figure the manufacturer knows best what should be used - I'd just stick to whatever the owner's manual says to use for that engine.

Interested in any opinions on this, thanks for reading.

Ford has been running 5W20 for over 10 years in normal engine applications. Heavier oil does not mean less wear. Run what is spec'd.

Ford has been running 5W20 for over 10 years in normal engine applications. Heavier oil does not mean less wear. Run what is spec'd.

Agreed run what is specified. Most of your wear is on start up so it is the 5 that matters most and that is what they specify.

I have over 98,000 miles (+156,000 km) now on my 2011 Limited. I only used the 5W20 for a couple of my many oil changes. I've always used a full sythetic. I've tried 5W30, 0W30, 0W40 and 5W40. All Mobil products.

I have over 98,000 miles (+156,000 km) now on my 2011 Limited. I only used the 5W20 for a couple of my many oil changes. I've always used a full sythetic. I've tried 5W30, 0W30, 0W40 and 5W40. All Mobil products.

I appreciate all of the replies thus far. Bill have you committed to running any specific viscosity over all of the ones you've tried ?. Thanks for nay additional replies. :thumbsup:

I appreciate all of the replies thus far. Bill have you committed to running any specific viscosity over all of the ones you've tried ?. Thanks for nay additional replies. :thumbsup:

I really like the Mobil 5W40 TD oil. Run this most of the year, the past 2 years. Now running Mobil 0W40 for the winter months.

I may run a High Mileage 10W40 Mobil this summer, or stick with the 5W40.

I ran my Honda Ridgeline on 5w20 (or 30 when I couldnt find it) Mobile 1, at 3500-5k mile intervals. Maybe 2 or 3 times I had work issues and ended up with 7-8k miles between changes. Not once in almost 9 years or 140k miles did the truck give me engine noises/issues, never a shiny oil change or obviously overused/worn oil. Ive heard people argue about running heavier oil in hotter weather but Ive never had an issue. Hell, I used to have to run $14/qt Castrol TWS 10w60 in my 2001 M3 as the only approved oil for M engines, and that was an inline-6 revving to 8100 down here in Houston humidity and heat. Just keep the oil clean, use good filters, and consider an additive/cleaner at 100k+

Back