Running board Bolt sizes??? w/pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running board Bolt sizes??? w/pics

jerry56jr

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2001 Explorer. I got fiber glass stock running boards from a local junk yard and they did not have the hardware to install these.

The brackets are on the running boards! My question is:
- what size bolts with nuts/washers do I use to install these? (most important)
- there is another part with 1 screw hole, what size screw do I use? And why does it look like they won't match up? see pic below

Here's pics of what I'm talkling about:

This is where I would mount on the car underside:

This is from the under neath the car with the 2 bolts from previos pic and the screw on top:
Here's the bracket on the running boards. The 2 holes which I circled are where i think I install the boards, the circle on top is for the screw, and the question mark(?) is don't know:

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, Jerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That appears to be basically the same mounting as my 2002 Sport Trac running boards. Top bolt screws into the welded-in nut and the two bottom bolts have u-nuts and go through the holes you show.

OEMSportTracstepmount2.jpg

Runningboardmountingbolts.jpg

Thank you ncranchero, I'm going to go to home depot to look for that size. Where do you get the clips?
And is the screw size the same as the 2 bolt size's?

yes, the bolt sizes are the same, home depot does have some of these clip nuts inthe specialty fasteners drawers but I don't know about them being metric so buy your bolts for the clip nuts accordingly.

You'll have to have the metric bolts to go in the upper welded-in nut. The lower two w/u-nuts won't matter, metric or standard.

Jerry, those in the photo are what I took off of mine when I removed the steps.

just went to Home Depot and Lowes, then to 2 local hardware stores. I got the 16 m8-1.25x25 bolts, but not one place had the clips! I'm going to order them on line. The clips that go with these bolts arethe m8-1.25 U-type speed nut threaded.

Are the screws for the top the same m8-1.25x25????

Back