• Register Today It's free!

Running Boards

ZigZag03

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
have studied owners manual for my 2008 exp limited, and am trying to figure out if you can disable the retractable running boards or must i live with them? anyone know? thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think you could pull the fuse for them. Or unplug the wire going to the motor.

In the menu system, you can force them up, or extended.

Keep tapping setup until you see "RUNNING BRDS", and you can change it from there.

Look under "Driver Control" in your manual

You can force them closed, but you can only force them extended temporarily through the message center.

In the message center, you have 3 options for the running boards: AUTOMATIC, OUT, OFF.

In AUTOMATIC then deploy when you open the doors and stow when you close the doors.

In OFF they stay stowed whether the doors are open or closed.

In OUT they stay deployed whether the doors are open are closed when the truck is stationary, but they stow automatically if you get above 5 mph.

If you want to disable them entirely (either open or closed), the manual says it's fuse # 19 in the power distribution box under the hood. Or unplug the wiring.

Gentlemen, thank you all. i have disabled them in the driver control menu as mentioned above and it was just what i wanted. thx again. love this site

Hell if you don't want them i'll take them from you lol

My passenger side running board is stuck in the down position. Ford wants $2K to replace it. IS any one familiar with how they work. The motors are good and ford thinks its the hinge but they really don't want to touch it.

I have had mine replaced due to motor failure and I have removed them to clean them up and repaint them. If I remember correctly, unplug the motor connector remove four bolts and the whole assembly drops off. Then you can get a better look at what may be jammed in the hinges ( maybe a rock wedged in it? ).

I hope no one minds continuing this thread, but I need some advice on my power running boards. My '09 Limited has them and I actually use them for their intended purposes. The problem recently developed where the driver's side doesn't seem to like cold weather. During the winter months, it steadfastly refused to retract up after deploying without some help from my foot. Now, during a few warmer days this past week, it seemed to be working much faster without any assistance from my foot. Unfortunately, it was a cold night last night, and I'm back to what I'm calling my "lazy" running board. P.S. The passenger side has worked flawlessly all winter long....cold or warmth.

Anyone have any thoughts?

You could have a good amount of road gunk built up in the hinges. Try locking them in place down and taking a pressure sprayer to them to see if any paint flakes off or any roadsalt buildup gets blown out. I have had to repaint the hinges on my vehicle twice now because of the roadsalts used in the winter causing the the aluminum to oxidize.

I hope no one minds continuing this thread, but I need some advice on my power running boards. My '09 Limited has them and I actually use them for their intended purposes. The problem recently developed where the driver's side doesn't seem to like cold weather. During the winter months, it steadfastly refused to retract up after deploying without some help from my foot. Now, during a few warmer days this past week, it seemed to be working much faster without any assistance from my foot. Unfortunately, it was a cold night last night, and I'm back to what I'm calling my "lazy" running board. P.S. The passenger side has worked flawlessly all winter long....cold or warmth.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi jsakabuck,

Your dealership would be happy to take a look at this for you. I recommend making an appointment so the can get your concern diagnosed. If you don't want to make a special trip, you can always combine it with an upcoming maintenance visit.

Keep in touch and let us know how things turn out.

Crystal

Back