Running different gears in front with brown wire mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running different gears in front with brown wire mod

tricked04

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB SOHC
I have just bought 35's, wheels, rear 4.88's, etc. and I need wait and save up money to buy a powertrax and the 4.88's for the front. Question is: If I have the brown wire mod can I run around with different gears (stock 4.10's in the front) and 4.88's in the rear, as long as I stay in 2wd?

Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribed

I wouldn't recommend doing it.. If you do, I'd remove the front driveshaft. I was under the impression on the 97-01 the front driveshaft always spins.

Blee1099 said:
I was under the impression on the 97-01 the front driveshaft always spins.

You are right. I may just remove the driveshaft, good idea.

I had to do just exactly what you are planning.... I had the rear re-gerared to 4.88 but the stupid 4x4 shop got scared of my front and left it with the original 4.10 gears. I had to pull the front diffy myself and give it to them to regear it. It took me a couple of weeks to get around to doing that and in the meantime I drove with the brown wire mod turned off and 4.10 fronts and 4.88 rears. I don't recall removing my front driveshaft though; maybe since the tcase is not engaged, it doesn't matter if the front is turning faster?

Maybe I did remove the front driveshaft..... oh well my memory is failing me. Remove it just in case to be safe. But I'm 90%+ sure I remember that I kept the driveshaft in, which would mean that when the brown wire mod disconnects power to the tcase that the internal clutch of the tcase let the different gear ratios slip at different speeds inside the tcase. It would only take you a few feet on the pavement to figure out if that's true, LOL.

Thanks for the info. To let you know GJarrett I have read all your posts I think, and my 99 EB White and tan is getting modeled after yours. Except I think I want to do a SOA conversion with a custom body lift. What do you think?

Well, if you do a SOA you're gonna lift your rear way above what a torsion twist will lift it in the front, so then you'd be looking at a suspension lift in front (Superlift, RCD, etc).... if and when I bother with a suspension lift, I'll probably just do an SAS. Sounds like you're getting serious about modifying your '99; post some photos once the project is underway!

tricked04 said:
Thanks for the info. To let you know GJarrett I have read all your posts I think, and my 99 EB White and tan is getting modeled after yours. Except I think I want to do a SOA conversion with a custom body lift. What do you think?
Are you talking about a sloped BL?

SkanlaxJMO said:
Are you talking about a sloped BL?

You got it!

To GJarrett:

I will keep it posted, So far body kit, shocks (pro comp es9000 2.5" lift), shock perches, and rear 4.88 with a traction loc unit are on there way. Waiting to find a deal on a powertrax no-slip and 4.88's for the front, and wheels+tires.

I have already read about the sloped body lift and know I will get flamed it seems this board is about 70% against it. But I have yet to hear about any negative effects, and I am an engineer and see no problem in it. I'll update with before after pics once I get started, probaly this weekend or next.

I have been on this board from about two weeks. I hope you guys know how much of a useful tool this board is.

I just found this thread by accident searching for something else but I thought I would plug the sloped body lift...
I was the first one to do it and now have over 50K miles on it now with no side effects at all:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127121
They sell kits like this for rangers. Also I wouldn't say the board is 70% against it, I would say 70% of them don't even know about it and the ones that do and have done it, I have gotten a lot of good feedback from. The ones that were negative about couldn't give me a reason why not to aside from nobody's done it before so it must be a bad idea... I would even say that its safer than a regular body lift because it is tied directly to the frame in the rear instead of having the leverage of 3 inch blocks on it. So good luck, if you need any help just ask...

Back