Russ's (99ex22) 4406 Swap Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Russ's (99ex22) 4406 Swap Thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is my temporary front bumper haha.....
picture.php

I couldn't get the factory bumper to look good so I'm using a piece of wood now. I'm thinking about mounting a high lift jack on the frame horns.:D

1inch body lift what did you do cut the blocks?

never mind I read the thread

probably not. All you have to do is unbolt the linkage from the tcase and then find pull it through the floor of the f-150
the linkage is mostly on the trans not the t/c, just saying

Alright! I got her! She's coming monday afternoon. 150.00 plus 50.00 core charge for the 67K one :D Im pretty excited about this!
thats a realy good deal i just paid 300 for a man 4406 with the linkage
noel

everything is good and to my surprise the pucks don't make any noise at all.

i got my 1" hockey pucks coming any day now 10 for$20 to the door
noel

i got my 1" hockey pucks coming any day now 10 for$20 to the door
noel

Actual hockey pucks are a big no no, they rot out from the weather.

Actual hockey pucks are a big no no, they rot out from the weather.
thx for the reply i thought they lasted for i long time,well i got them now so i am going to put them in but i will keep an eye on them & when they look like they are coming apart i well get some alum or steel ones
thx noel

Alright I finally ordered all my linkage! It should be here Wednesday or Thursday. If all goes well I will be getting my driveshafts Thursday and she will be going in Friday night!

Just returned from the post office. I sent all the extra stuff I had. It is basically everything except the piece that bolts to the tranny and the little linkage (I even sent a bolt to bolt the shifter to the lower linkage). Since I did not get them out in "parcel post" yesterday, I sent it priority mail today and you should have it on Thursday.
Theres actually 2 boots, a weather boot (white) and a "beauty" boot (the black one that you see in the cab).
I used the F150 weather boot to seal up the hole I made in the floor for the shifter. It did require extensive modification to it and the floor to make it work, but in the end I think it was worth it. I also used a "water seal" that you can get at Lowes to help maintain that seal. If you can find a contractor doing a roof nearby, I am sure they would be happy to give you a 2' x 2' piece for nothing or close to it. (its $65 a roll for the big stuff, and if you can find the smaller "patch" style roll it will be about $8) Its a rubber with a strong adhesive on one side of it and I used it on the hole to seal the metal to the white rubber boot, which was riveted to the floor.

Good Luck with your pending swap

Hey I got your stuff today! Thanks again man, you saved me 60.00! tomorrow I'm off to maybe pick up a explorer for the mother because her 93 dodge spirit is finally taking a dump, then im going to pick up my drive shafts. Here is a link to the explorer in case anyone wants to take a look. Looks like a really good deal although it's sohc but sure beats the hell out of what she's driving now...
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1785594210.html

Is the 4406 swap worth it if the truck is going to be more of a daily driver? I barely go off-road now besides the normal mild camping trails.

What is the biggest benefit of it? Will i gain MPG coming from an AWD? That would be the ticket seller for me.

By the way I have a 97 AWD V8 :D

With apologies to 99ex22.
<thread hijack>
My truck is my daily driver. It is the only "all weather" vehicle I own at the moment. (I really need to do something about that, kinda tough to pick up big parts on a motorcycle)
I went with the 4406 T/case because my AWD case was junk,and had been for months. It was making all sorts of weird noises (my fave was at low speed it sounded like it was laughing).
After checking the local junkyard pricing on parts, it actually cost me $10 to make the swap. (AWD case cost $165, my Tcase and driveshafts cost me $175)

Now, for you, you may have more difficulty making the swap. The reason being that for your year AWD Explorer, the speed sensor is in the transfercase. You not only need that for your speedometer, but also for your computer to determine when to shift the transmission.
It can be and has been done by a few members on this forum.
Check these threads if you are serious. Required reading for your year explorer:
410Fortune 96AWD to BW4406 thread
VSS info you will need for the 4406
'97 V8's swap thread
There has to be more, but those should give you a decent foundation of knowledge to build upon.
Next you will need to read: this thread by Mountaineergreen. It is basically a step by step How-to with a shopping list and part numbers.
Read all of those and 99.99% of your questions will be answered. After you have all this knowledge in your head, and if you have the tools, cash and time, you can't beat this mod.
More power to the rear wheels when in 2WD, a little better fuel economy and having 4LO to creep with.
Recommend using a forum vendor for your Ford parts by the name of Tousley Ford. Their prices can not be beat.
(Their Q&A thread) (Their website) (or call them @1-800-328-9552 and mention the Explorer forum discount)
My local dealer wanted more for the lower shifter (bolts onto the tranny - $130) than Tousley wanted for the same part plus the linkage arm (from that part to the transfercase) AND the second day shipping! (by the way, I did not even mention the discount. Guess I could have saved even more!)
<end hijack>

Thanks for your input myposmounty.

I did read the threads you posted before asking my question. most of those who swapped out are more off-highway oriented drivers but that is not the case with me and that is why i'm trying to justify if the swap would be worth it for me.

You see, I'm currently in southern california where the weather is just blazing hot all the time so no snow or any other weather hazards year round.

I think the 4406 manual case has a port for the speed sensor on its tailshaft too, right? i mean a few of them do have it.

yes, some of them have that, as evidenced in those threads...BUT not all of them do.
That info is in those threads I listed.
You will gain some "oomph" from a stand-still
Gain a couple miles per gallon
Have alot less headaches as far as watching the circumference differences of your tires
Enjoy a V8 2wheel drive truck, but keep the 4 wheel drive capability
Lose that POS front driveshaft and the "creep" you will get if you remove it
Gain a much stronger T/case
Hmmm, is there a downside?
As far as I know there is but 1 downside and that is the frequent transmission mount failures
My advice? Do it.

I have a few more questions but i'll start my own thread so i wont clog this one. :D

Transfer case is in!!!!!! The only thing I have left to do is put the center console back in and for some reason my front shaft I got from the junk yard is too long!!!!???? Anyone else have this problem????

Edit: I'll post my progress pictures in the morning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transfer case is in!!!!!! The only thing I have left to do is put the center console back in and for some reason my front shaft I got from the junk yard is too long!!!!???? Anyone else have this problem???

I did not encounter that issue, mine was a perfect fit. It was out of an '01 F150 w/4.6. You sure they gave you one from the 4.6 and not the 5.4?

Back