Rust on tailgate.. what to do | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust on tailgate.. what to do

Much to my dismay, my 96 Ex is showing its first signs of rust on the bottom edge of the tailgate. Right now it's just bubbling paint, but it won't be long before the paint breaks off and I have a nice 1" circle of rust starting. It seems like the rust is forming at the bottom edge where the hatch inner and outer pieces of metal come together. If lift the hatch and look at the bottom, there are a series of water drain holes. Apparently they aren't doing their job as well as they should. A couple tiny patches of rust are starting at other spots on the bottom edge as well. What are the options? With 127k miles I don't know how practical it is to throw a lot of money at the body. On the other hand, the truck is in really good shape and I would hate to spoil it by having the hatch rot away. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the entire thing? I know it could be sanded and painted but I don't expect that would stop it as there is obviously a weak point in the design of the hatch so that rust starts forming at this location. Thanks for any input!

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use POR 15. (also am a dealer) Seals the rust and stops it permanently, it really does work to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What exactly is POR 15? I have heard of it before and seen pics of it used on frames. Also, where do you buy it?

man they must use some nasty stuff on the roads down there...my moms 94' doesnt have a spec of rust on it...heck our 91 f-250 has zero rust on it..man that sucks for you guys..sorry

I've used Por-15 for several years and have had great results. The stuff is sort of like polyurathane paint and creates a very durable finish that is many times harder than paint (akin to other brush on bed coatings only por-15 is paint like not thick). I had originally tried using Rustoleum heavy duty primer followed by several coats of Gloss Rustoleum top coat but found the coating was easily scratched and chipped off. I ordered some Por-15 and found it to meet 100% of my expectations. It has never chipped or flaked and is many times harder than paint. I used it during my Windshield lip repair thread.
18205TTB_and_components_ready_for_install_WEB-med.jpg

18205Right_side_new_WEB-med.jpg

Alaska must not use salt :mad:

You've got to go after the stuff inside the doors/tailgate too. What I did recently was spray inside with rust o leum Rust Reformer, then applied some oil/grease based undercoat my dad has. It'll drive away any moisture

Back