Rust removal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rust removal?

While washing the Navajo this weekend (it's not road ready yet) I finally got a chance to check all of the exterior damage to the 281,000 truck. Everytime I've really looked at it it's been near dark...so I was very dissapointed to see rust on several body panels. This is the first vehicle I have owned that had rust problems. So, I guess my question is...what is the best way to get rid of surface body rust? I've done a search and didn't run across anything really helpful.

Also, what are some other places to look for for rust, now that I've found some panel rust?

Thanks for any help! :cool:

-Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First clean and degrease the area, then sand it down to bare metal. Then use some sort of acid to etch the metal. POR15 has a metal prep wash that I have used but in talking with others I found that you can also use diluted acid(not sure what kind) The prep wash leaves the metal with a galvanized appearance. Wash it off one more time wait till it dries then paint other this. I like using POR15 but it is not cheap. You could use any good paint.

Yes that is it. You should be able to find it local. The speed shops in my area all carry it.

Sandblasting is the best way I've found. It removes all the rust down to bare metal VERY Quickly. It is able to get into areas that other methods cannot reach. It also leaves the surface etched (just like frosted glass) so you will not need to buy metal etching solution. So if you have access to an air compressor then pick up a $50 sandblaster at Sears and you'll be greatfull you did. It is one of the best tools I have bought/used...I can't imagine life without it now...

POR-15 is great stuff, but it starts curing once you open the can.. Therefore you must use any opened can within a few days. I have always gotten the six pack of little cans, that way I have little if any waste.

Just make sure you remove ALL the rust !!!!!!!!!!
It might need more than just sand blasting.
If it is surface, sandblasting will do the trick though.
Just go at least one inch beyond the suspected area.

abrasive pad?

can you just use an abrasive pad on a power drill to scrape away the rust? like if i can just get it down to bare, shiny metal will that be good enough? also, what can you use to stop the rust? would filling a rust-hole with Bondo work?

From what I understand/what I've read the only way to get rid of rust is to cut it out. You can use the POR-15 or muriatic acid to treat the surface to slow down the process of the rust. Other wise it would just grow right back.

-Jason

can you just use an abrasive pad on a power drill to scrape away the rust
You can use an abrasive pad, sandpaper, wire wheels etc. When you're done the prep'd sureface should NOT be glass smooth (otherwise the coating will have a hard time sticking and will tend to flake off). Slight imperfections (scratches) will act like velcro and give he coating something to hang on to. Of all methods Sandblasting does this the best, but other methods will work fine (They just take more time to achieve desired results).

if you're cheap like me... just use a screwdriver and a wire brush... attach the rust with the screwdriver and it should flake right off, then go over it with the wire brush... unfortunetly I didn't think about using a screwdriver to completely remove everything till I had already done several hours with a wire brush, getting almost nothing accomplished.

I have also used the sculpter method. I used a screwdriver and hammer to chisel away at the obviously rusted spots. It worked ok...

It also depends what you're working on... on the relatively thin metal of the bodywork, using a screwdriver to chip it away might take off too much metal... I was using it on my rear bumper brackets which arn't seen, and are 1/4" or so thick.

You could grind in off too, if your careful not to get too deep.

You have to make ALL the bad metal go away.
At least one inch beyond the rust area.

Bondo ( which is a manufacture not a product ) is a body filler and will do nothing for or against rust.

Originally posted by MONMIX
You have to make ALL the bad metal go away.
At least one inch beyond the rust area.
Bondo ( which is a manufacture not a product ) is a body filler and will do nothing for or against rust.
MONMIX is correct.
Do NOT apply body filler (bondo) over a rust. The Rust wil keep on eating the metal from under the filler and may even accelerate the process.

I put rustoleum rusty metal primer over the stuff I did... I couldn't get all the rust off, but I got most. Then I put some rustoleum enamel over that. It just stinks that the rustoleum rusty mental primer only comes in the color of rust.

Back