Running board rust removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running board rust removal

Hello, I just purchased a 2000 XLT 5.0. Its spotless except for some surface rust on the running boards. I've never done this before, so I was wondering what is the best way to remove the rust and repaint it? I have pictures, but for some reason I cant upload them to my post?

Thanks

grind out all the rust and either fill it with fresh metal or if it is shallow enough just fill it with body filler

Welcome to the site Bladestorm. It is nice to see another MN member. I have the same problem on my step bars. I started to sand and grind off the rust like monmix said, but then never really finished the project. :D I guess that I kinda liked the look without them. I do have intentions of reinstalling them sometime though.

Rust rust rust

Greetings All,

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport with rust on those grey running boards. The spots are particularly rusty near the round plastic caps at the front and back of the running board. I'm also noticing some rust bubbles around that plastic top step area.

I intend to sand this down, but I'm curious if there's a way to remove the round plastic ends (and the step piece on top) in a non-destructive way. I peered under the boards and noticed some additional bolts that are flush with the bottom surface. Do I need to loosen these? I can post some pictures if necessary. Thanks.

I had the rust on my running boards in the exact same places as you describe. The foot pad on the running board needs to be pried off with a flat blade screw driver or a special flat metal prying tool used by body shops. I used a large flat blade screwdriver wrapped in duct tape to avoid damaging the plastic pads. It worked fine, but you need to be careful. The plastic ends are held on by 2 bolts per end of step bar. Use some penetrating oil such as pb blaster or wd-40. I managed to break a few of the bolts on mine when removing the ends. Good luck.

Back