Ryan's F250/Explorer hybrid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ryan's F250/Explorer hybrid

I guess this is what happens when you take someone like me, add someone like Kevin (DWD), and throw in some beer!
Here's the plan. This weekend I'm looking at buying a '79 F250 longbed. It has a 300 straight 6, leaf sprung dana44 front, dana 60 rear. Basically, I'm going to put my Explorer body on the F250 frame.
First things first. I need to rebuild the 6banger, trans and axles. Then, I cut some of the frame out of the F250, bring the dana60 forward a bit. Fab up some body mounts, get creative with the engine compartment and steering linkage coming out of the Explorer firewall. Then I spend 200 or so manhours rewiring, fabbing fuel and brake lines. Then I slap on some new tires (38s?) with 8lug rims and bingo....I go 4wheelin'.
This project doesnt have a 100% green light yet. I have a lot of messurments to take on the F250. If I'm satisfied with my tape messure, then its a go.
This project will obviously take time. My inital calculations for money are around $5000, although thats surely going to climb 20-30% (much like building a house). That cost includes the cost of the vehicle, but does not include tires/rims.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it will be a big task but if all turns out well it sounds like it will be sweet. Take lots a pics and keep us posted on the project. Can't wait to see it come alive if it is a go. Good Luck.

Curse you!! I was going to be the first Explorer with a 300!!! Hahaha - j/k. Sound awesome man, and you've got one HELL of an engine. For engine clearance are you going to modify the firewall or the front wall? I was planning to cut the front wall, then use the engine cage (coilover mounting point) to mount the radiator, then do the conversion front end with a little weirdness to the grille and a new fiberglass hood.

I haven't had a chance yet to messure the straight 6. If its a matter of less than an inch (not likely), I'll mod the firewall. Most likely I'll push the front foward, using the massive bumper I built and the winch as a grill. As for the hood, I'll first try to lengthen it to fit myself. With all the tools I've got available to me, I should be able to do that much.
Two more days and I get to see the donor vehicle! I cant wait. Aparently its already got a lift.
After the project is complete, I hope to only have the explorer frame left for scrap. Which means I'm going to have one hell of a garage sale in a few months!
I'm going to have to start a donation. Not for the project, but for the tires I'd like to run. 37x12.5R16 Goodyear MTRs. They only list for $500.12, which means I should be able to get them for around $350 a piece.

Heh - check out my thread in Explorer projects. How weird is it that we're both planning an Explorer hybrid on a fullsize frame with the big 6 and 37's?

BTW - when i was looking at the I-6 swap, i found out that the EFI versions with a serpentine belt are 33.5" long without a mechanical fan. I don't remember height exactly, i think it was 18" plus EFI setup or carb. You might need a new hood, and unless you stretch the nose REEEEAL good, might hafta switch it over to a serpentine belt system.

She's a go!!!
I bought the f250 today. what a beut!!! huge lift blocks in the rear, they will most likely come out. The 6er is in good condition. I'll spend tomorrow getting her running, to see how the trans is. its got the 405 (?) and the 205 tcase. Dana 60 rear (HUGE), and a beefy looking dana44. only problem is they have 3.54 ratios. im thinking 4.10s or 4.11s, depending on what is made for those axles.
my messurments show i'll have to move the front grill forward approx. 3 inches. no big whoop. the good news is the frame in the rear is the same width as the frame of the explorer in the rear. looks like i'm going to have to chop out 20 some odd inches though.
16 inch wheels....thats on my mind though. there's no way i'll fit 15s on, since the front rotors are 15.75 inches in diameter. I haven't found a rim thats wider than a 16x7 in steel. hmmm.... any ideas?

The rotors aren't that big because there are people running 15" wheels on D60s. You should be able to clear 15" wheels on that perfectly fine. If not, I'd suggest 16.5" wheels as (even though they have no inner safety bead) you can find used tires for them cheap because most people don't want them.

The tranny is an NP435 with a 6.69:1 first gear. The NP205 has a 1.98:1 low range.

You can get 4.56, 4.89, 5.13, 5.38s for the D44 and 4.56, 4.89, 5.13, and lower for the D60 rear.

Hey Ryan, take one of your AT's from out back and see if it will fit over those calipers. I think your Dad had the best idea to get the clutch system from an explorer and fab up a bracket for the clutch slave cylinder. If you can fit a 302 in a toy, than we can fit the six easy. Can't wait to help on this one.

SHE'S ALIVE!!!
off with her body!

I'm glad I came down to see that bad boy fire up. Now all we have to do is meltdown and rebuild. I will be back on the 27th from truckhaven and I will be checking this thread periodically while I am gone so keep it updated. I wish you could come, but next year you will be towing me;) keep :hammer: away

Today I replaced the rear wheel cylinders and rebuilt the front dual caliper pistons. Also, we vacume checked the engine, all good there. The compression check shows that cylinder 6 has about a 25% drop from the rest, should only be at 15%, all other cylinders are good. Thats good enough for now. The tranny is going to be used as a core for a rebuilt. The Tcase is in good shape, so it stays.
This week I'm going to take the body off and start cleaning and rebuilding. After the body is in the junkyard, I'll roll the explorer in and start at it.
I'll try and remember to get pics up this week.

Sounds hardcore man, you rock, hehe

Does is have coils or leaves up front? My project bush car will be built on a 80-96 fullsize Ford or maybe a 78-79 Ford 1/2 ton. Not really sure yet, but I want coils up front, maybe even all around. I was curious about your platform.

[EDIT: Egad! I've gone retarded in all my posts in the projects section! You already said leaves up front!]

well, 15 inch rims will not fit the front or rear. everything on this rig is HD, engine, axles, brakes. oh well....i'm sure i'll find a set of 16x10 steel rims in an 8 lug somewhere.
the bed comes off tonight. i'll also start pulling the cab apart. doors, fenders, winshield...all gone. i'll take pics before i start tonight.

If you go to 4wheelparts.com, they have black Rock Crawler rims in 16x10 with 8 lug pattern, theyre like 75 bucks.

Dead Link Removed

arsoul,
Unless you got TBI/EFI on that 300 6 (I doubt it).. grab an exhuast manifold from an EFI truck (split style) and a Offenhauser 360 intake. Then drop a 390 or bigger carb into it.. Just the intake and carb will make a world of difference. The EFI (split) style exhuast flows much better than the old style.

Our e-150 has a 300-6 with the offy intake with a holley 350 2 barrel (yes, it is a 4 barrel intake) has gobs of low end torque with the new intake.

If you want headers.. I just happen to have a set of 300 inline 6 headers in the shed.. (won't fit in a van frame.. it is too narrow.. but will fit in a pickup frame).

The Carb/intake mod is only a few hundred ($200 for the intake, $250 for carb).. and it is worth it..

Those 300 inline 6's are great.. I drove 150 miles back home when the motor wouldn't idle.. (but I could maintain 75 on the freeway).. Turns out I blew the head gaskette between #2 and #3.. I had 20psi of compression.. and had exhaust comeing out of the carb at idle (was very interesting).. but the motor kept on running.. its definately a tank..

~Mark

Before you go looking for 16" rims, know this. Most of the desirable tire sizes don't have a 16" application.

15" or 16.5" are the two most common.

4wheelparts.com has the rock crawlers in a 16.5x9.75 eight lug pattern

The problem with 16.5 is the lack of an inner bead. goodyear mtrs come in a 35x12.5/16, and thats the tire i'm wanting to run.
Thanks for the link Chris.

Originally posted by arsoul
The problem with 16.5 is the lack of an inner bead. goodyear mtrs come in a 35x12.5/16, and thats the tire i'm wanting to run.
Thanks for the link Chris.

Get some beadlocks to fix that! :D

www.rockstomper.com

He makes some killer stuff. Been to his shop and he knows what he is doing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back