Safari Rack questions before group buy purchase... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safari Rack questions before group buy purchase...

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Ok guys, I really want to buy a Safari rack from the Explorer Express group buy so any answers or info would be great appreciated...

A few questions...

Has anybody been able to put skis on the top of their truck with a safari rack on there? I don't know how you would do this, but I need to be able to lash skis on somehow.

How bad does a safari rack kill your gas mileage? (yes I have searched the forum)

Are 55W lights mounted on the front of a safari rack illegal for on road use? (Only with the high beams of course!) I would never use them during on coming traffic, but if a cop were to see me go bye with the lights on, would I be likely to get a ticket?

Thanks,
-Brett

Originally posted by HokieBert

Are 55W lights mounted on the front of a safari rack illegal for on road use? (Only with the high beams of course!)

In the state of Virginia, your vehicle will be rejected if driving lights are mounted above the level of the headlights. If you have lights mounted in the manner you described, you can get the vehicle to pass inspection if you:

1) Have covers over the lights.

OR
2) Have the bulbs removed, and no wiring run to the lights. Then they would be considered
attachment.php

So, to answer your question, lights mounted on the safari rack can only be for off-road use in Virginia, and you could possibly get a ticket for just having them on the truck, if they are functional, and you don't have covers on them when on the road.

YEP, they have to be covered at all times when on road.

yep

that's the way it is in PA too......My covers stay on until I need them .... I asked about the waffle rock guards (although they cut down on the amount of ray you get, they are ok if you have real powered lights)....but they still say no....they are not considered covers so.....they would be illegal.

Karol

Back