safe to cut off 8-12 inches of exhaust tip??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

safe to cut off 8-12 inches of exhaust tip???

02XSport

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Toyota 4Runner SE V8
Okay, I want to get rid of that ugly exhaust tip that they put on the new Sports. It not only looks bad, but it also bangs against my fender when I take hard turns and makes all kinds of noises, which can be very embarassing. What I plan on doing this weekend, is simply cutting off about 8-12 inches of the exhaust tip so you don't see it any more and so that it will no longer be able to bang against the fender.

Is it safe to do this? Will it cause any kinds of problems whatsoever?

Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It really won't cause any problems but your truck may not pass inspection because it needs to extend as far as the passenger compartment goes.

I don't know about the Sports but I did it without any problems. You just have to make sure the exhaust doesn't melt the plastic around it, so keep an eye on it.

Just cut it enough so it isn't under the fender anymore. You don't want to cut it too much for legality and safety.

oh wow, didn't even think about the whole inspection thing...maybe I'll just secure the exhaust so it doesn't bang into the fender anymore? That might be a better option. Thanks for the advice guys! Its always good to have a board like this to remind me off all those little things that I never seem to think of.

You might want to check the exhaust hanger that's closest to the end of the pipe. It might have come loose causing the end of the pipe to move and rattle.

Back